Stacking a Victoria sponge

Reaction score
A friend has asked me to make 2 Victoria sponge cakes, one 12inch & the other 8inch & pop them on top of each other to then be decorated with fruit & flowers. What I would like to know is will this work?? If I put dowels thru the 12inch and the 8,inch on a thin cake board will this hold?

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum @Chloe and apologies for my late reply!

Yes that should work fine. You'll need to be able to cut the dowels down to size, so make sure you have something to cut them with. You will only need to put the dowels through the bottom cake, then cut them off so that they are no higher than the top of the cake, and put the board on top. Then just place the smaller cake on the board.

Is it for a special event?

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum @Chloe and apologies for my late reply!

Yes that should work fine. You'll need to be able to cut the dowels down to size, so make sure you have something to cut them with. You will only need to put the dowels through the bottom cake, then cut them off so that they are no higher than the top of the cake, and put the board on top. Then just place the smaller cake on the board.

Is it for a special event?

Thank you for your reply. It's given me the confidence that'l it work fine! I am an amateur baker & never having made a tiered cake before i've been having visions of it collapsing!! It's for a friend's in-laws anniversary celebration. I will do a practise run though.. any advice on how long to cook a 12inch sponge??

Reaction score
I've scaled it up from my 8inch which I do all the time. Will multiply the ingredients by 2.3 & guess will just have to keep an eye on it in the oven....

Ask a Question