Stamped Sugar Cookies

Reaction score
I was given a really cute set of cookie stamps for my birthday and I've tried them multiple times with different sugar cookie recipes and they never come out right.

What usually happens is that pieces of dough get stuck in all the little crevices of the stamp so when you pull if off the cookie, there are big chunks missing from the pattern. Flouring the dough first doesn't help, and I've tried chilling the dough and experimenting with the consistency and I just can't get it to work.

It's super disappointing because they would make such nice cookies if I could only figure out how to use them. Does anyone have any tips for these?

Reaction score
I have had this happen before and do not know exactly how to prevent it. I have tried oiling and flowering the stamps and still have sticking problems. Kind of makes you wonder if people actually test them out before sending them out to the market.

Reaction score
I've never used cookie stamps. I'm more partial to decorating with icings, sugars, sprinkles, and such.

This is actually a sales pitch for Nordicware, but it might be useful.....

For me, I would think about this logically. Like the woman in the video, she's using a peanut butter dough, which is very greasy, so I would think any cookie dough might need to be a bit on the greasy side in order to use a cookie stamp device. Especially if it's made out of metal or wood. I would not think that the silicone ones would stick like the metal or wood ones would.

What I would try is....

Once I made my cookie balls on the cookie sheet, I would place them in the fridge for about 10 minutes.
Then I would get a skillet of some type, place that on the stovetop, and warm it up with the lowest burner setting, let that warm up for about 5 minutes, then turn off the burner.
Then I would place my metal cookie stamps on there and let them warm up just a bit.
Then take the chilled cookie balls out of the fridge and then press them with the warm stamp. (spray with non-stick cooking spray very lightly if you grease yours)
Then use the warm stampers to stamp the cookies.
You may need to rewarm the stamps every two or three cookies.

Supposedly, if my logic is good....the heat from the stamper will "melt" the fat content of the top of the cookie and it will make it where it is very lucid so it doesn't stick so badly, if at all.

If you try this, let me know if it works or not.

Ask a Question