Starter Flavor

Reaction score
I've been baking for years, but I only recently created my own starter. It took a bit to get it going for real, but I'm really enjoying it now. I have two questions about the flavor of bread---but it's the second I'm most interested in.

1. To simply, the flavor of bread is mainly created by the flour you use and the starter. (Obviously the water and processes matter, but, I think, to a lesser degree.) Question: How much does the starter affect the flavor of the bread? Is it still largely a result of the flour you use, with the starter playing a bigger role than commercial yeast but still more of a minor role overall?

2. Regarding the flavor the starter gives to your final loaf, how much of this depends on "the starter itself" and how much depends on "the most recent flour you used to feed the starter prior to baking"? I don't know if this makes sense or not, but I wonder how much I can experiment with my starter by playing around with feeding it different flours right before baking, e.g. only all-purpose vs. only whole wheat vs. a 50/50 mix. Is my experiment limited because I'm technically using "the same starter," at least the same "base" starter? I've seen some people experiment with stuff like this online, but they usually do it by creating 3 or 4 or 5 different starters. I'm interested in experimenting with the same starter, but just feeding it differently right before baking.

Ask a Question