Starting a Business

Reaction score
Hello there!

This is my first time on this site, which I found while searching for baking forums.

Y'see, I have a wee bit of a problem. I'm planning on starting up a baking business from my home; hopefully it will really take off and I can get a little shop somewhere. The problem is I need to come up with a name. I've had a few ideas but I just haven't found one that feels right. The most recent choice was "Enchanting Eatables," but I'm not sure whether or not that's the one anymore. I'm trying to find one that reflects the kind of baking/decorating I intend to do but something catchy and memorable at the same time. I've never been a big fan of names like "Cakes by Sue" or "Alice's Bakery" or things like that. I want it to be unique and catchy. I just can't think of a good one. :(

I want to make/decorate cupcakes and cakes as well as maybe make a few other fun things like cookies and candies. My thing is that I really like to make nerdy things: for instance I made a cake with the Battlestar Galactica logo on it for my new husband and his friends, I've made minion cupcakes, a MineCraft cake, rubber ducky cupcakes, etc. Not your average everyday cake. I'd like to do a lot of this as well as do some fancier, more elegant designs. I'm trying to think of something that will encompass all of that and it's just not happening. I just don't want it to look like I only do one certain kind of thing. I feel like it might limit the potential client base. However, at the same time, if I was to specialize in just the nerdier stuff, that would mean that all the area nerds would come to me!

What do you all think and do you have any name ideas? :)

*By the way, just a little side note, I don't use the term nerd as an insult. I'm a nerd and I'm proud of it! And hey...we're all nerds about one thing or another. Since you're all on here...we're all baking nerds! Wear it with pride! ;) *

Reaction score
What about Space Age Cup Cakes?

This seems to me like something coming from the outer space, and very high tech, since only with the top-notch/state-of-the-art technology one can aim to conquer space.

Reaction score
Big Bake Theory is a brilliant suggestion! :D

How about Nerdy Nom Noms?

Reaction score
Whichever names you are considering, you should probably run them through some domain name services to see if they are even available and/or taken by any other entities. I've included a few of the ones I use below.

NameStation

This one is great because it has huge sets of word lists you can play around with to generate all sorts of unique domain names. There is a limit on how many lists you can generate in a given day though, I think.

Namechk

This one is a little different. What it does is take your domain name idea, and see if it is available or taken across all the major social networks - something else you will want to check into before you settle on a domain - otherwise it could be hard building up your social media advertising if there are other companies out there using your name, and creating confusion.

GoDaddy

This is kind of a no brainer. but the main reason I like to use them to look up the availability of domain names is because they have a bulk checker tool. It's kind of a small link beneath the form field, and easy to miss. But if you have a huge list from something like NameStation, it takes only seconds to look up the availability of the whole list vs. inputting them one at a time.

Nametumbler

If you get overwhelmed with some of the other domain suggestion tools, this one is a little more stripped down.

LeanDomainSearch

Another one worth checking out, fast and easy to use.

Reaction score
Looking through a thesaurus might help you come up with a name.

Curious, where are you? in the U.S. you can't open a baking or cooking business in your home if you don't have a professional kitchen and license (complete with all the regulations)

Reaction score
Big Bake Theory is a brilliant suggestion! :D

How about Nerdy Nom Noms?

I LOVE Big Bake Theory and Nerdy Nom Noms. I can't think of any names offhand because I'm terrible at this but I agree that you should focus on the nerdy stuff because there are a million other bakeries doing the non nerdy stuff. You would be unique and corner the market on geeky baked goods. Maybe you can set up a booth at anime and comic book conventions. The food at conventions is always terrible anyway, so cupcakes would be an upgrade.

Ask a Question