Steamed Cake (Puto)

Reaction score
Hello everyone! :)

We have this traditional Filipino snack called Puto, which is a slightly sweet steamed cake made from ground rice. It is a soft treat for all ages and can be eaten together with any hot or cold beverage of your choice. What I also like about it is how simple it is to prepare and make it.

I would like to share the recipe with you guys so here's a link to a recipe I found which replaced the ground rice into cake flour especially for those who live in places where rice is not a staple food.

Here's the link to the recipe, hope you'll like it:

http://salu-salo.com/puto-filipino-steamed-cake/

Reaction score
Oh, oh, you beat me to it, @gracer, I was about to create a thread about puto. But anyway, we call puto rice cake and not steamed cake. But I wonder if puto is still selling nowadays. As I had posted in another thread, our town is famous for snack foods that includes puto in different styles - round and square, white or yellow and lately I saw an indigo colored puto.

Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Reaction score
Ground rice = a flour? I actually Googled cake flour as it's the first time I have noticed the term. I also found a substitute which according to Google is all purpose flour mix with corn starch.

Reaction score
@Corzhens Lol! I'm sorry for beating you at it. :D I just remembered sharing about it when I recalled how I have done it together with my classmates when I was still in my elementary years. So I thought of looking for a simplified recipe online to share with everyone here. I'm glad you liked it. :)

@Winterybella I think you can indeed replace ground rice with an all purpose flour, the cornstarch will help in the plump texture of the steamed cake. It will look like a soft muffin once it is done. :)

Reaction score
It's amazing the amount of new things I am introduced to on the forum. I had never heard of rice flour before or if I had, never paid attention. In the baking game I think the wonderful thing is that there are lots of things to substitute.

Reaction score
@Winterybella I agree with you one hundred percent. I too am learning a lot of things here that I've never thought of before just like what I learned from you in another thread. This forum has indeed opened me to a whole lot of possibilities when it comes to cooking and baking. :)

Ask a Question