Stem ginger

Reaction score
I apologize in advance if I'm posting in the wrong space.

I have a jar of stem ginger that I bought from the UK. (I'm in the US.) Anyone else have recipes/tips for an opened jar of stem ginger?

Thank you!

Reaction score
There are all sorts of things you can do with stem ginger, so it depends on what you like! You can chop it up small and sprinkle it over ice-cream with a bit of the syrup for a quick and easy dessert, or you could dry off the pieces and dip them in tempered chocolate. If you're looking for something to bake, then this gingerbread recipe is great:

https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/bread-recipes/ultimate-gingerbread/

It's unlike most gingerbread you'll have ever tried before, it is based on Grassmere Gingerbread which is a speciality from the Lake District here in the UK. I love it!

Alternatively how about a sticky ginger cake?

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1462/sticky-stem-ginger-cake-with-lemon-icing

Both recipes feature golden syrup which you probably won't be able to find in the USA, but you could substitute corn syrup.

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions! I have started ordering baking supplies from the UK, so I do have some 'real' golden syrup, but that's where I found the stem ginger in syrup as well.

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions! I have started ordering baking supplies from the UK, so I do have some 'real' golden syrup, but that's where I found the stem ginger in syrup as well.

Just jumping in to say that I've been keeping an eye out for stem ginger in various shops, but haven't found it. I have, however, seen Lyle's Golden Syrup. I found it in a small glass bottle in The Fresh Market here in Orlando, FL, and I believe the larger Publix Supermarkets have it in a larger can. I can't even remember why I wanted stem ginger, but I bet it "stems" from a Mary Berry viewing binge on YouTube, or possibly something Cupcake Jemma made. :) I think Whole Foods might also carry Lyle's, and it's certainly on Amazon.

Reaction score
It's good to know that golden syrup is reaching a wider market now! :)

Ask a Question