Sticky sourdough

Reaction score
Hello bakers!

Potentially asking a question that's been asked many times before. I'm having issues with getting my sourdough out of its banneton. I cake the banneton in rice flour (I was told this or low gluten flours were best) before putting the dough in and I turn it out straight from its night in the fridge (again told by a few people this is best to not let come up to room temp), but the dough still sticks and when it finally comes out it's lost shape and then doesn't score that easily (potentially because my blade isn't sharp enough?).

What are the best tricks to encourage it to come out more swiftly without losing shape?

Many thanks

Dobie

Reaction score
The problem I found with Rice Flour on an unlined banneton is that the flour just drops off (same with semolina flour). What worked for me was two things,

1. "Break in" your banneton by spritzing the inside with water from a plant mister, then liberally dust with wholemeal flour or regular strong white flour. Leave for ten minutes then shake out the surplus flour. Leave for at least an hour to dry then before re-applying the flour and using.

2. Work the dough some more so that there's at least some surface tension or elasticity to the top surface of the pre shaped dough (which will then be the bottom surface in the banneton). I appreciate it's a wet mix so this is a relative term, but I found that even with the wettest doughs you can get something there, and when it comes to preventing sticking every little scrap of surface elasticity is critical.

Good luck!

Ask a Question