Store bought vs. Scratch

Reaction score
I was curious to know if many of you make your own pie crust or buy store bought? I like things a bit easy and will usually go the store -bought route but would like to get more into making if from scratch because I'm sure there is a difference in taste.

Reaction score
I don't make pies a lot and maybe that's one reason I've gone the scratch route. I can't be sure I'll use a store bought pie crust before it goes bad (I had one in my freezer for months one time and finally threw it out.) If you make a crust from scratch you can you don't have to worry about a shopping trip. (I tend to have the few necessary ingredients in my cupboard, always.) It took me awhile to get the hang of making crust that was the right consistency to work with but I did get the hang of it after awhile. And since it's pretty forgiving you can work with it to make it shaped properly, etc. I don't buy the store bought kind anymore, although I wouldn't be completely opposed to it. I used to feel GUILTY if I didn't make everything from scratch, but sometimes it just has to happen for me.

Reaction score
The only pies I make are the ones that have a graham cracker crust and I do buy those at the store. I'm not an expert baker and not willing to take the time to learn how to roll out a perfect pie crust. It looks very time consuming and I don't want to deal with it.

Reaction score
I actually think homemade crust is better than store bought, and it is so easy to make.

Reaction score
We use store-bought crusts about half the time, for pumpkin pies and other recipes where we've always done it that way. However, some pie recipes we've added to our repertoire include special crust recipes, like my sister's prize-winning honey apple pie... the crust is almost like a shortbread cookie.

And some crusts are just so easy to make! It's hard to go wrong with an Oreo cookie crust, for example.

Reaction score
We use store-bought crusts about half the time, for pumpkin pies and other recipes where we've always done it that way. However, some pie recipes we've added to our repertoire include special crust recipes, like my sister's prize-winning honey apple pie... the crust is almost like a shortbread cookie.

And some crusts are just so easy to make! It's hard to go wrong with an Oreo cookie crust, for example.

Soliloquy are you willing to share the "almost like a shortbread cookie" recipe? And I agree with the Oreo cookie crust! I think about the only time I buy Oreos is when I'm using them for crust in a pie or ice cream cake. YUM!

Reaction score
You definitely want to make it from scratch not saying that there is anything wrong with store bought but if you have the time always go from scratch. Especially with pie crust because there is no pie crust like fresh homemade pie crust from scratch you can taste the difference.

Reaction score
I used to make it from scratch, but since we moved to France, there is so much good quality pastry in the supermarket, we just end up buying most of the time.

Reaction score
If it's short crust, then I make it myself as it's so quick and easy. However, puff and filo are significantly harder, so I buy them.

Reaction score
Nothing can ever beat anything in taste if it was made from scratch. There is just something about the freshness that a "store bought" variety just can not compete with. That being said, I wish I had more time and the energy I used to have to make it from scratch, but alas, I do not, so I run to the store to buy my product.

Reaction score
I fall short in the pie crust area. I am not very successful with making them. I do tend to fudge and buy the store bought crusts these days. I really need to improve my baking habits concerning pie crusts. I need to get more practice in. With the kiddo's running around I don't have as much time to devote to the practice though. One thing I have learned is to use cinnamon rolls pressed down as the bottom for apple pie. This is yummy!!!

Reaction score
I have never been great at making pastry so I tend to go for shop bought pastry. I buy in bulk and keep it in the freezer so I can just go and get it when I need it. Helps to keep a stock of everything as I lives in the middle of nowhere and the nearst shop is a 2 hour walk away!

Reaction score
I don't really make pies, but if I did, I would make it from scratch. I come from a family where we make a lot of things from scratch.

Reaction score
I've used the store bought mini crusts before, if I was too lazy to make a batch of crusts lol, but otherwise no.. I always made them from scratch :)

Reaction score
Store bought is convenient and has improved over the years but if you are going to the trouble of making something, I'd say go with scratch. The taste will be much better and it doesn't take too much extra time.

Reaction score
For pie crusts specifically, I buy them from the store. I am always worried that I will spend too much time mixing them, and the fat will melt - not giving me the flaky crust I am going after. Also, every time I get one of those pastry cutters, they always get all bent out of shape in my drawer and don't work well on the rare occasion that I try to use them.

Reaction score
There use to be time where I bought them from stores. Though, over the years I've come to absolutely hate the taste and texture. Thus, I've begun to make all my pie crust from scratch. Making it from home actually comes out more cost effective then buying from store!

Ask a Question