Store Mix Plus

Reaction score
I'm still sort of a newbie to baking, but one of the things I've started doing is taking the store cookie mix and throwing in extra ingredients. Its kind of perfect on days when I don't feel like starting from scratch! My favorite recipe is peanut butter cookie mix but throw in some chocolate chips. Sometimes I add other stuff like vanilla or peppermint extract, and peanut butter chips (if its a chocolate cookie). You have to remember to add a little extra milk or water to compensate for the extra ingredients. Anyone have any suggestions for alterations to the store mix?

Reaction score
Great job taking the first step in baking! There are books written for box mix baking. The books give recipes that show you have to use the cake mix as an ingredient in your own recipe. Not everyone has the time to bake form scratch you are just skipping a step or two.

Reaction score
My suggestion? Nuts! You could also try other flavored chips (like butterscotch chips) or M&Ms instead.

I've never added extra milk when I've added extra "topping"-style ingredients, to be honest. Maybe I should!

Reaction score
I love using Krusteaz pancake mix and sprucing it up with different ingredients. Applesauce cake has been by far the best tasting product from that.

Back to the cookie mixes, I usually add mint chips to the chocolate chip mix to spruce it up.

Reaction score
It's cool that you are getting into baking and adding your own touches to boxed mixes. I like to make cake mix cookies when I find cake mix on sale.
I bought a bunch of holiday pumpkin spice cake mix for 50 cents a box on clearance, so we've been eating pumpkin spice cake mix cookies with cream cheese icing.
You don't have to always start from scratch. Sometimes it's cheaper and quicker to start from a mix. There's nothing wrong with that.

Reaction score
I like to make cake mix cookies when I find cake mix on sale.
I bought a bunch of holiday pumpkin spice cake mix for 50 cents a box on clearance, so we've been eating pumpkin spice cake mix cookies with cream cheese icing.

This is actually the only time I buy box mixes. I get them on sale at each of the holidays.

Sometimes, that means it's the colored versions like green for St. Patrick's Day or orange for Halloween. I really don't care if I'm eating orange cake at Christmas time instead, though, so I pick them up super cheap and then store them until I get a cookie/cake craving.

Ask a Question