Stove Top Baking

Reaction score
Recently, I decided to try baking a cake on top the stove. I was tremendously surprised by the results and it came out way better than I expected The cake came out lighter, softer, fluffier, and delicate with a perfect crumb texture. Lesser time than it would have taken in an oven!!!

Here are the Instructions

1: Place a rack or stand in a big heavy empty pot. Make sure the pot is dry and completely clean otherwise if it has any oil or water it will smoke.

2: Cover the pot with a tight lid and turn the heat on high for 5 minutes. This is to pre-heat the pot in preparation for the cake.

3: Open the pot, careful it will be hot in there. Place your cake pan gently on the rack/stand.

4: Cover the pot once more and let the cake start baking! First keep the heat on high for 5 minutes, then lower it to medium and continue cooking for another 20 minutes. This is for an 8" cake size, it will take slightly more time if the cake is larger or less time if it is smaller.

5: Open the pan after the baking period, and check if the cake is done. The top will be solid and a skewer inserted in the center of the cake will come out clean.

6: Turn the cake over on a rack gently and remove the greaseproof paper.

baking-without-oven_1.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
This is genius! Thank you for this! I will definitely try this! I once thought of doing this, but I thought it won't work. How did you come up with this, anyway?

Reaction score
This is genius! Thank you for this! I will definitely try this! I once thought of doing this, but I thought it won't work. How did you come up with this, anyway?
Actually, I forgot all about this method until recently, when my boyfriend and I went to Antigua for a vacation. I was shocked to see my great-grandmother still baking and using this method. That's when I remember her baking cakes, breads and cookies on her gas stove top. My mom and dad took there when I was nine. I remembered watching her doing it and couldn't wait until it's done.

So, that's when I decided to give it a try when I got back. It wasn't that hard and it's one of the best methods for baking a cake. :D

Last edited:
Reaction score
Perfect! You're an answered prayer. I was looking for a way to bake cakes without an oven. Looks like I need a special pot though. Is that a heavy-bottomed cast iron pot? It looks thick around the sides as well.

Reaction score
This is amazing, and I would not have thought that you could do it without ruining the pan when it gets hot.
Then , I was thinking about back in my younger days when we useed to go camping, and I remember actually making cornbread on the campfire using our old cast iron covered pot. It worked really well, and I think I made biscuits that way also. I used the regular cast iron frypan, cooked the biscuits for a while on one side, and then turned them over, similar to what you would do with a pancake, just a longer cooking time.

Reaction score
Wow, I never thought of baking a cake on top of the stove. I've never heard of anyone actually doing so. This really is a genius idea and an idea I'm going to try. This sounds near to do.

Reaction score
This is great! I have been looking for more stove top recipes. I have made Jamaican Rum cake, as well as steamed Rice cakes. But what you made looks absolutely beautiful! I don't even think I would be able to tell it was baked on a stove top if you had not told us. I appreciate the step by step process and the photos that go with it. I will definitely be trying this! I like it that you did not have to use foil or cans. A lot of stove top recipe's call for that.

Reaction score
Actually, I forgot all about this method until recently, when my boyfriend and I went to Antigua for a vacation. I was shocked to see my great-grandmother still baking and using this method. That's when I remember her baking cakes, breads and cookies on her gas stove top. My mom and dad took there when I was nine. I remembered watching her doing it and couldn't wait until it's done.

So, that's when I decided to give it a try when I got back. It wasn't that hard and it's one of the best methods for baking a cake. :D

It's really a very cool trick! I really want to try something new and break away from the usual oven-baked goods. Does this work over campfires? My friends and I are thinking about camping one of these days and this looks like something we could try.

Reaction score
Recently, I decided to try baking a cake on top the stove. I was tremendously surprised by the results and it came out way better than I expected The cake came out lighter, softer, fluffier, and delicate with a perfect crumb texture. Lesser time than it would have taken in an oven!!!

Here are the Instructions

1: Place a rack or stand in a big heavy empty pot. Make sure the pot is dry and completely clean otherwise if it has any oil or water it will smoke.

2: Cover the pot with a tight lid and turn the heat on high for 5 minutes. This is to pre-heat the pot in preparation for the cake.

3: Open the pot, careful it will be hot in there. Place your cake pan gently on the rack/stand.

4: Cover the pot once more and let the cake start baking! First keep the heat on high for 5 minutes, then lower it to medium and continue cooking for another 20 minutes. This is for an 8" cake size, it will take slightly more time if the cake is larger or less time if it is smaller.

5: Open the pan after the baking period, and check if the cake is done. The top will be solid and a skewer inserted in the center of the cake will come out clean.

6: Turn the cake over on a rack gently and remove the greaseproof paper.

View attachment 206
Absolutely genius!! I know I'll probably make a big mess of it (at first) but this is something I definitely must have in my arsenal of tricks!!! THANK YOU!!!!

Reaction score
Wow, that is insanely ingenious. I'm going to have to try that out just on principle. I suffered for years without an oven and never thought of attempting to get around it, feel a bit of a fool now... all you need is the heat and containers really, ovens aren't magic :p

Ask a Question