Strawberry rhubarb pie

Reaction score
In desperate need of an unsoupy pie recipe. Followed three different online recipes for strawberry rhubarb pie and they all were very liquidy. Help!!!!

Reaction score
In desperate need of an unsoupy pie recipe. Followed three different online recipes for strawberry rhubarb pie and they all were very liquidy. Help!!!!

It's probably not the recipe, it's the thickener. Berries are very difficult to use in pie because it's anyone's guess as to the amount of juice they have in them.

Try instant clearjel. Unfortunately it's not readily available in the store. You have to order it online. And it is not the same clear gel that is sold in the canning section of the grocery store.

Thickeners like flour, tapioca, and cornstarch require heat to activate. So it's impossible to tell if you added enough. Clearjel thickens without heat. Slice the fruit; sprinkle with your seasonings and just a portion of the sugar. Then let the fruit sit for about 20 minutes. The fruit will release its juices.

Mix the clearjel and remaining sugar into the fruit. It will begin to thicken. You'll be able to judge the thickness in a few minutes.

I've given up on all the other thickeners where berries are concerned.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop...MIjNLCqZTx1QIVDZBpCh3GxgmsEAQYAiABEgLhM_D_BwE

Reaction score
I make strawberry rhubarb pie every year during the summer. After I cut up the fruit, I mix it with the sugar and a tablespoon of lemon juice and four tablespoons of cornstarch.

Over the years I’ve experimented with the recipe and I no longer use flour for a thickener and added an additional tablespoon so instead of three tablespoons I add four. It works much better and doesn’t leave an after taste like flour sometimes.

Most times strawberry rhubarb pie recipes don’t call for lemon juice but I love the added brightness it gives the flavor of the pie.

I hope this helps.

Ask a Question