Strawberry topping

Reaction score
There is this Strawberry shortcake cake with whipped cream frosting and strawberry topping from a store. The strawberry topping is very similar to canned pie toppings. So how do you make this kind of topping. My first attempt came out very syrupy so for my 2nd attempt, I added more corn starch and it came out too solid, like jam.

Reaction score
There is this Strawberry shortcake cake with whipped cream frosting and strawberry topping from a store. The strawberry topping is very similar to canned pie toppings. So how do you make this kind of topping. My first attempt came out very syrupy so for my 2nd attempt, I added more corn starch and it came out too solid, like jam.
Is what you call “topping” a canned fruit pie filling? Even when I google fruit pie topping, there is nothing.

If you are trying to make a fruit pie filling, then the key is ditch cornstarch. Use tapioca starch (some times called tapioca flour). You want the powder, not the pearls.

The weight of the fruit in grams.
Sugar 25% - 30% the weight of the fruit - do not exceed this ratio of sugar to fruit
Tapioca starch 5% the weight of the fruit

Example

435g fruit
435 x.25 = 108.75 Use 109 g sugar
435 x .05 = 21.75 Use 22g tapioca starch

This is for fruit with high water content, not fruit like apples.

For fruit with high pectin like apples, use 2% tapioca starch

This brilliant fruit thickening formula comes from pastry chef Stella Parks. I use this all the time. I taught my sis how to make pie a couple of years ago. Taught her this formula. The next morning I woke up to a text with a pic of a perfect slice of blueberry pie and the words, “Holy S**t! It works!”

Pies and tarts are definitely some of my best baked goods

Reaction score
Is what you call “topping” a canned fruit pie filling? Even when I google fruit pie topping, there is nothing.

If you are trying to make a fruit pie filling, then the key is ditch cornstarch. Use tapioca starch (some times called tapioca flour). You want the powder, not the pearls.

Sugar 25% - 30% the weight of the fruit - do not exceed this ratio of sugar to fruit

Example

435g fruit

This brilliant fruit thickening formula comes from pastry chef Stella Parks. I use this all the time. I taught my sis how to make pie a couple of years ago. Taught her this formula. The next morning I woke up to a text with a pic of a perfect slice of blueberry pie and the words, “Holy S**t! It works!”

Yes sorry, pie filling. Will this be thick even without baking? I want it as a topping. I've never had fruit-filled pie and it doesn't look that great. I am terrible at pie... except pumpkin pie.

Reaction score

Example

435g fruit

Is pie filling whats used for topping cakes? Like in picture below:

Attachments

• Fresh-Strawberry-Cake.jpg
    Fresh-Strawberry-Cake.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 91
Reaction score
Is pie filling whats used for topping cakes? Like in picture below:

ahh, professionally made fresh fruit pies, cakes, tarts, etc are covered in a glaze made with glucose, cornstarch, and gelatin.

Alternatively, you can just glaze the fruit with strained apricot preserves.

Simply heat the apricot preserves until it melts into a liquid. Strain through a fine mesh sieve. Cool and brush on fruit.

I don’t the conversion from gelatin sheets to powder because I only use the sheets. I added a link below if you want to purchase gelatin sheets in the US.

Fruit Glaze

By Scott Green

• 450 g water
  • 170 g glucose syrup*
  • 30 g cornstarch
  • 50 g lemon juice
  • 10 g sheet gelatin 160 bloom**

*May substitute with light corn syrup

1. Soak the gelatin sheet in the water until soften. Squeeze our excess water and reserve water. Set gelatin sheet aside.
  2. Combine the water, glucose and cornstarch and bring to a boil.
  3. Let the mixture boil, while whisking, for 2 min.
  4. Add the hydrated gelatin and lemon juice and whisk well to combine.
  5. Cool before glazing fruit.

** gelatin sheets maybe purchased at this site.
https://modernistpantry.com/shop/?search_query=Gelatin+sheets

Reaction score
ahh, professionally made fresh fruit pies, cakes, tarts, etc are covered in a glaze made with glucose, cornstarch, and gelatin.

Alternatively, you can just glaze the fruit with strained apricot preserves.

Simply heat the apricot preserves until it melts into a liquid. Strain through a fine mesh sieve. Cool and brush on fruit.

I don’t the conversion from gelatin sheets to powder because I only use the sheets. I added a link below if you want to purchase gelatin sheets in the US.

Fruit Glaze

By Scott Green

• 450 g water
  • 170 g glucose syrup*
  • 30 g cornstarch
  • 50 g lemon juice
  • 10 g sheet gelatin 160 bloom**

*May substitute with light corn syrup

1. Soak the gelatin sheet in the water until soften. Squeeze our excess water and reserve water. Set gelatin sheet aside.
  2. Combine the water, glucose and cornstarch and bring to a boil.
  3. Let the mixture boil, while whisking, for 2 min.
  4. Add the hydrated gelatin and lemon juice and whisk well to combine.
  5. Cool before glazing fruit.

** gelatin sheets maybe purchased at this site.
https://modernistpantry.com/shop/?search_query=Gelatin+sheets
So is the tapioca pie fling you gave what you use for pie filling? Or this one? What about topping cakes?
Baking is truly a science and an art.

Reaction score
So is the tapioca pie fling you gave what you use for pie filling? Or this one? What about topping cakes?
Baking is truly a science and an art.

When fruit is baked inside a pie like this, use the tapioca starch
CE7D28EF-E125-416E-99D3-60D2AF87C115.jpeg

When fruit is whole and place on top of a cake or tart like this, use the glaze. But this pic was taken just before the berries were glazed and cake was mounted on a cake board and the base border piped

C8BD4649-F289-4249-B4C2-D0E4CF6B4B30.jpeg

Reaction score
Fruit topping thickeners:

- starch: corn starch or flour, these need to be cooked to achieve full thickening power
- gelatin sheets or powder, or pectin powder: these need heat to dissolve
- cooking the filling so the sugar is thicker/has less water

@Norcalbaker59 Beautiful strawberry cake! What's inside?

Reaction score
Fruit topping thickeners:

- starch: corn starch or flour, these need to be cooked to achieve full thickening power
- gelatin sheets or powder, or pectin powder: these need heat to dissolve
- cooking the filling so the sugar is thicker/has less water

@Norcalbaker59 Beautiful strawberry cake! What's inside?

Passionfruit curd

Reaction score
another thickener is arrowroot. But it can be pricey.
so heres a easier way, buy glaze for strawbs at the supermkt, it will be refrigerated, usually in or near the fruit section.
You can add water if you need to brush it on.
https://www.heb.com/product-detail/concord-foods-glaze-for-strawberries/321443

20210730_224040.jpg

Ask a Question