Stuffed Cabbage

Reaction score
I've moved on from stuffed peppers to this, but while I had a whole list of mix-and-match things to stuff a pepper with, for some reason I just wanted to stuff a cabbage because of the feel of wrapping something (I've had an impulse to wrap foods, lately--spring rolls and burritos and stuff) and not because I know anything that actually goes well with cabbage.

The first and most recent cabbage-leaf filling was a combination chili beef, beans, and cheesy corn.

I was worried at first about how to get the wrap to stay wrapped, like breads are fine if you can just melt some cheese or stick it with cornstarch, but cabbage leaves...?

As it turns out, I didn't need to worry. When they're cooked, they get heavy enough to seal themselves up. They don't bounce back out.

The combination of beans and cabbage is giving me quite a bit of gas, I feel moved to warn you...But I enjoyed eating this.

What other good food combinations can go in a cabbage?

Reaction score
I have actually stuffed cabbage with my favorite "go to" pepper stuffing, ground beef, cheese, tomatoe sauce, and cooked rice. If you are looking for an Irish version, you can stuff your cabbage with corned beef. If you are looking to go Asian, you can stuff it with ground pork, soy sauce, and some finely chopped veggies. Cabbage is a versitile vegetable to cook with.

Reaction score
I love cabbage rolls, but have not made them in a long time. You have inspired me to get stuffin!! I like the traditional ground beef with rice, carmalized onion, and tomato sauce over them as they cook.

Reaction score
If you are looking for an Irish version, you can stuff your cabbage with corned beef.

Cabbage is a versitile vegetable to cook with.

So true, and thank you so much for the suggestion! I had what I like to call a "deconstructed colcannon" for dinner last night. ;-9

I love cabbage rolls, but have not made them in a long time. You have inspired me to get stuffin!! I like the traditional ground beef with rice, carmalized onion, and tomato sauce over them as they cook.

Ooh, that's my next mission.

Reaction score
I just can't believe cabbage is one of my favorite vegetable and i have never had stuffed cabbage before , i feel like i am somehow missing out on life. I have seen a few stuffed cabbage recipes online which looks very tasty.

Reaction score
I go the ground beef with rice, onions, green peppers and maybe chopped carrots with cream of mushroom soup diluted just a tiny bit and poured over my cabbage rolls. I season the filling with garlic, salt and pepper. I serve the cabbage left from the head I took the leaves from cut up as a side dish.

Reaction score
I love the sound of stuffed cabbage! I've only ever done stuffed peppers before, and I love those. I think you could come with all sorts of good ideas for stuffing them too - meat or vegetarian based.

I have actually stuffed cabbage with my favorite "go to" pepper stuffing, ground beef, cheese, tomatoe sauce, and cooked rice. If you are looking for an Irish version, you can stuff your cabbage with corned beef. If you are looking to go Asian, you can stuff it with ground pork, soy sauce, and some finely chopped veggies. Cabbage is a versitile vegetable to cook with.

Oooh the Asian version sounds very tasty! I'll definitely give this one a try. Thank you. :)

Ask a Question