Stuffed Cookie rising then falling

Reaction score
Hello! I started coming up with 6-7oz stuffed cookie recipe during quarantine. I’m trying to figure out what’s making them rise then cave in

3/4 butter
1.5 cup sugar
4 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
.5 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp lemon extract
2 whole egg
3 tablespoon lemon juice
3 teaspoon zest
1/4 tsp salt

stuffing
1/3 butter
1/3 crisco
2 cup powder sugar
Lemon juice and extract

to much leavening agent? Or filling needs to be thicker?

they also seem to soft even after cooled. I cant cook them longer bc they will rise to much and cave in more
I bake them right out of refrigerator 375 degrees for about 12min in a 4in mini spring form pan
Thank you!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:
Reaction score
No offense, but you’re stuffing the cookie with a grease ball. What are you expecting a grease ball to do but melt? The melting temperature of butter is 95°F and crisco is 117°F. This is the temperature of which they liquify. While crisco is all fat, butter is about 80% - 83% butterfat and 16% - 18% water. The water evaporates and creates steam. The leavening creates gas. The dough rises. But the fat melts and it all falls. But. why would you want to eat a disgusting grease ball?

A stuffed cookie is stuffed with something delicious like chocolate, nutella, marshmallow, peanut butter cups, something yummy.

Reaction score
No offense, but you’re stuffing the cookie with a grease ball. What are you expecting a grease ball to do but melt? The melting temperature of butter is 95°F and crisco is 117°F. This is the temperature of which they liquify. While crisco is all fat, butter is about 80% - 83% butterfat and 16% - 18% water. The water evaporates and creates steam. The leavening creates gas. The dough rises. But the fat melts and it all falls. But. why would you want to eat a disgusting grease ball?

A stuffed cookie is stuffed with something delicious like chocolate, nutella, marshmallow, peanut butter cups, something yummy.

It’s actually not greasy at all when eating. I also have stuffed ones i do with stuff like that but I wanted to do some sort of lemon creme. Do you have another idea of some sort of lemon cream?

Reaction score

i also tries this with jelly but it did the same thing

Reaction score
Buy a scale. You cannot bake properly using volume. Baking is a chemical reaction of all the ingredients to time and temperature. So it is the ratio of ingredients to the flour.

Bake by baker’s percentages like a professional baker. I do not know what 4 cups of flour weighs—and neither do you. So you do not know the ratio of sugar to flour, or the leavening to flour. or butter to flour. You do not know the ratio of any of your ingredients to the flour. So you cannot develop a recipe without guessing and haphazardly making up test batches.

You need to adjust you leavening. You are using baking powder. You only use baking powder if you want a puffy, soft like cake cookie. A cookie like a snickerdoodle that puffs up and then deflates for a crinkly top. All other textures in a cookie, you use baking soda.

But don’t know what type of cookie base dough you are trying to make. But that has to be your first consideration. If you are going to fill a cookie with jelly, you need a crispy cookie because the jelly has a high moisture content. Moisture creates steam, Steam and the leavening means rise. Your puffy cookie recipe with the baking powder means a cake like rise. But it does not have the structure of cake, so it collapses like a poorly made cake.

So you need a crispy cookie, that means either a shortbread or a cookie with just baking soda as leavening. So a traditional sugar cookie, or jam cookie recipe.

Insofar as a cream filling, cream fillings are not baked into pastries as they will not withstand the high heat of an oven. I think stuffing it with a lemon flavored marshmallow is your best bet. You’ll probably have to make your own. There’s a lot of recipes online for marshmallows. The S’more cookie is very popular. So you could just modify a recipe, make a plain dough, use a lemon marshmallow, maybe change the chocolate chips to white chocolate. Play with it.

Reaction score
Buy a scale. You cannot bake properly using volume. Baking is a chemical reaction of all the ingredients to time and temperature. So it is the ratio of ingredients to the flour.

Bake by baker’s percentages like a professional baker. I do not know what 4 cups of flour weighs—and neither do you. So you do not know the ratio of sugar to flour, or the leavening to flour. or butter to flour. You do not know the ratio of any of your ingredients to the flour. So you cannot develop a recipe without guessing and haphazardly making up test batches.

You need to adjust you leavening. You are using baking powder. You only use baking powder if you want a puffy, soft like cake cookie. A cookie like a snickerdoodle that puffs up and then deflates for a crinkly top. All other textures in a cookie, you use baking soda.

But don’t know what type of cookie base dough you are trying to make. But that has to be your first consideration. If you are going to fill a cookie with jelly, you need a crispy cookie because the jelly has a high moisture content. Moisture creates steam, Steam and the leavening means rise. Your puffy cookie recipe with the baking powder means a cake like rise. But it does not have the structure of cake, so it collapses like a poorly made cake.

So you need a crispy cookie, that means either a shortbread or a cookie with just baking soda as leavening. So a traditional sugar cookie, or jam cookie recipe.

Insofar as a cream filling, cream fillings are not baked into pastries as they will not withstand the high heat of an oven. I think stuffing it with a lemon flavored marshmallow is your best bet. You’ll probably have to make your own. There’s a lot of recipes online for marshmallows. The S’more cookie is very popular. So you could just modify a recipe, make a plain dough, use a lemon marshmallow, maybe change the chocolate chips to white chocolate. Play with it.

Sorry I forgot to say I was using a scale! So that part I have figured out. That all makes sense! I will play around with it! Thank you!

Reaction score
Since have a scale.

Weigh all your ingredients. Then divide the weight of each ingredient into the the weight of the flour. That will give you the ratios. For examples, say the flour 480g, sugar 300g, butter 170g

300 ÷ 480 = 0.625

170 ÷ 480 = 0.353

So your sugar is 62.5% the weight of the flour and the butter is a paltry .35%. That butter is too low, it’s off by 25% - 30%. This is why you should know baker’s percentages.

Ask a Question