Stuffed Peppers

Reaction score
I'm thinking more of stuffed capsicum bell peppers, although Big Green Egg has a japaleño pepper grill rack that can also be used to hold ice cream cones upright in the oven (Confused about why you would ever want to do that? Fill the ice cream cones with marshmallows and chocolate bar chunks and bake them into s'mores. You're welcome.)

Veggies can be delicate things, but they can also be surprisingly versatile when it comes to baking. I've been trying to think of the best combination to stuff a pepper with, but first I've got to consider the sheer variety of pepper stuffings. I wouldn't stuff any peppers with EVERYTHING listed below...only because there probably wouldn't be room. And the sauces would just taste funny all together.

Plants to oven-bake before stuffing into a pepper that will then be oven-baked:

- zucchini
- eggplant
- mushrooms
- onions
- beets
- asparagus
- pears (because why not? Maybe not the soft fragrant kind, but...)

Cheeses to add to the stuffing:

- cheddar, of course
- grated parmasan for more of a floury singe during baking
- Swiss or Gouda for something more gooey

Other food, possibly prepared in non-grilling other ways:

- rice
- beans (butter, red kidney, or garbanzo)
- nuts
- couscous
- quinoa
- quail eggs

Sauces:

- egg with a runny yolk (this does too count as a sauce)
- plain yoghurt
- sour cream
- BBQ sauce
- any condiment: ketchup, mustard, mayonnaise...
- olive oil with herbs

Have I missed anything? I'm always up for new ideas on what to stuff a pepper with!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Could I have some of these stuff peppers when your done? Yummy. I'm not sure if you're up for it, but I have had stuffed peppers with Bacon in them, so if you want to try that to add to yourself.

Reaction score
I stuff poblano peppers with mac & cheese.
That grill rack is awesome! Thanks for the link.

Reaction score
I love to stuff a lot of different vegetables. I do pepper, of course, but I also stuff zuchinni, crookneck squash,onions, tomatoes, the small sweet peppers that are sold in plastic bags, acorn squash. Some of the vegetables need to be parboiled before filling. If I can make a hollow in it, I will stuff it with something. I have done meat fillings as well as vegetable fillings. I prefer a marinara sauce drizzled over them and a bit in the bottom of the pan. And of course, some kind of cheese sprinkled over the top. I also have used muffin tins to hold those that will stand upright.

Reaction score
That grill rack does looks awesome! Those are some great combinations for stuffed vegetables. I've only made stuffed green peppers with hamburger, rice and Rotel. You've given me lots of ideas to think about. Thanks!

Reaction score
You have given me some great ideas which is another creative way to use up my excess garden produces..thanks a lot.

Reaction score
I love using recipes that are loaded with vegetables. I try to dice the veggies up as small as possible cook them down a little and then mix them in with the meat befor stuffing. When they are almost done I top them with cheese and bake until melted.

Reaction score
Wow, definitely different options when it comes to stuffed peppers. I have only made them with rice, hamburger, onion, pepper and tomato sauce. I'd love to get more creative and try some of these new ways.

Reaction score
Mix and match? Sounds good to me ;). Stuffed peppers are delicious...and there really are so many things you can do with them. I hadn't thought of the ice cream cone s'mores, though, so thanks are in order for that one =). You could add a little tropical vibe in there and throw in some mango, too, just a very little bit.

Ask a Question