Sub for slivered almonds in cumb topping

Reaction score
i am making a pie with and almond coconut crumb topping. It calls for slivered almonds but almonds will put both myself and my dad in the emergency room. It’s not allergy related, it would aggravate my Chron’s and my dad’s diverticulosis due to the sharp edges that come from how almonds shatter when chewed. I know I can use something like hazelnuts instead for the crunch, which cause no problems, but I want the almond flavor.

Would using something like almond flour in the crumb topping work and provide enough flavor? Or would I be better off using almond extract in conjunction with it?

Reaction score
i am making a pie with and almond coconut crumb topping. It calls for slivered almonds but almonds will put both myself and my dad in the emergency room. It’s not allergy related, it would aggravate my Chron’s and my dad’s diverticulosis due to the sharp edges that come from how almonds shatter when chewed. I know I can use something like hazelnuts instead for the crunch, which cause no problems, but I want the almond flavor.

Would using something like almond flour in the crumb topping work and provide enough flavor? Or would I be better off using almond extract in conjunction with it?

I’m assuming it’s a streusel style topping. My standard streusel is equal parts by weight of flour, almond flour, sugar, butter. You can add almond extract to increase the almond flavor. From there you can pretty much add what ever you like to a streusel, be it coconut, nuts whatever.

My standard streusel

80g flour
80g almond flour
80g sugar
80g butter

Ask a Question