Substitute mayo for eggs and oil in Cake Mix or Recipe

Reaction score
LOL! it was fluffy and soft. A little too soft for pizza. When I served it, I told my husband to think of it more like pizza pudding. I think also I should have let it bake longer before adding the toppings. I make pizza in a cast iron skillet, so it's a little bit deeper with sauce and toppings. I've been working with this crust for a while and haven't hit on the perfect blend of ingredients yet for the consistency I'd like. Sometimes it's crispy and falls apart, other times it's too soft or wet. GF baking is a good challenge. LOL! Maybe next time I'll use only baking powder and not also baking soda and vinegar. It may have too much leavening. I'll try the mayo instead of eggs and oil though I'll keep one tablespoon of water to activate the baking powder. I made notes in my recipe and will keep trying! At least it tastes good.

yes gluten-free is very difficult. I’ve been gluten-free since 2008. I’m an highly trained & experienced baker but I don’t bake much gluten-free because it is so difficult. And most gluten-free just doesn’t taste good. So I tend to stick to a few things I know I do well.

I recently discovered a gluten free bakery in the next county. The baker sells her baked goods to the local restaurants. Overall her baked goods are exceptionally good. There’s a few misses

She takes orders from the public bi-monthly. So I just purchased a small tub of pizza dough from her. So I’m going to try it next week. Interestingly though she doesn’t print the ingredients list on her pizza tub.

Pizza dough is one thing I’ve not tried to make gluten-free. I do cookies, pies, tart and cakes.

GF cheese spinach roasted vegetable tart

71A1F06E-2C2D-4014-BC37-F91F1D0F302E.jpeg

Reaction score
GF baking is definitely challenging! :D I used to make my own flour mix and it got much easier when Bob's Red Mill Paleo Flour came out. I can't eat most GF baked goods because I'm also dairy free and intolerant of grain-potato combinations. Most GF baked items or recipes include dairy or combine grains with potato-based ingredients. I'm a food mess. LOL! I also don't believe in suffering and love food and cooking. I'm grateful for that. :) I haven't yet tried using yeast recipes, so I have research yet I can do! The baking adventures continue.... Thanks for the dialog!

Reaction score
GF baking is definitely challenging! :D I used to make my own flour mix and it got much easier when Bob's Red Mill Paleo Flour came out. I can't eat most GF baked goods because I'm also dairy free and intolerant of grain-potato combinations. Most GF baked items or recipes include dairy or combine grains with potato-based ingredients. I'm a food mess. LOL! I also don't believe in suffering and love food and cooking. I'm grateful for that. :) I haven't yet tried using yeast recipes, so I have research yet I can do! The baking adventures continue.... Thanks for the dialog!

Wow, you really have to be very careful with your diet. Between gluten, dairy, and potato that must really restrict what you can even buy ingredient-wise since there’s so much of these in products.

I’m lactose intolerant, as are most Asians. And since celiac runs in my family, at least my family is understanding. For the most part I’ve stuck to my gf diet rigorously since the doctor told me I could not eat gluten anymore. But there were moments when I threw caution to the wind

I still mix my own flour combinations. I’m trying to eliminate the gums. I don’t know if it’s the xantham gum for sure, but I suspect it is not my friend.

Hope you get the crust recipe worked out.

Reaction score
Ah, you feel my pain. :D I definitely read a lot of labels. There are so many food options and more all the time! I do some occasional cheating and get away with it once in a while or get a painful reminder. LOL! I hear you on the gums. I don't use them either. It adds another layer of complexity to baking.

As for the original question of mayo instead of eggs and oil, that definitely worked for a soft baking result! :)

Reaction score
Ah, you feel my pain. :D I definitely read a lot of labels. There are so many food options and more all the time! I do some occasional cheating and get away with it once in a while or get a painful reminder. LOL! I hear you on the gums. I don't use them either. It adds another layer of complexity to baking.

As for the original question of mayo instead of eggs and oil, that definitely worked for a soft baking result! :)

Let me know if you get the crust to a point where you think you might want to share the recipe. I really miss pizza!!!

Reaction score
Have any of you tried this? I was out of eggs once and learned about this, and it makes the moistest cakes ever. Leave out the eggs and replace the amount of oil called for with mayonnaise. Be sure to let your cake cool thoroughly or it will fall apart.

*I actually use a touch less mayo than what is called for.

I see Japanese make pancakes with mayonnaise, cake is very soft, just a spoon mayonnaise.

Reaction score
Ehh, it sounds like an awesome and handy tip, but not sure I'd ever dare to use mayo to prepare a cake! It sounds kinda... well, odd to me! I guess I'd need to know the specifics before embarking on that culinary adventure, lol.

Reaction score
Well the reason you can use mayo to substitute oil and or eggs is because all mayo really is yep you guessed it oil and eggs!!!

Reaction score
I've never made cake with mayo, and so can't answer the question...but why would you use lite mayo? I mean, to my way of thinking, if you're making a cake, you might as well go for it ;) How much of a difference, calorie-wise, could it make given the sugar and frosting and all? Use the lite mayo on that sandwich where lettuce replaces the bread.... :D
You would use low- or non-fat mayo if the cake is going to be eaten by someone with heart problems or who has had a heart attack and must eat a low-fat diet.

Reaction score
Ehh, it sounds like an awesome and handy tip, but not sure I'd ever dare to use mayo to prepare a cake! It sounds kinda... well, odd to me! I guess I'd need to know the specifics before embarking on that culinary adventure, lol.
I have tried it and it's my go to when I don't have any eggs or oil. Use Mayo and not salad dressing (miracle whip). I makes it taste funny.

Ask a Question