Can Sugar Sheet Be Stored in Freezer or Fridge?

Reaction score
I’ve never made a sugar sheet before and would appreciate some help / info from those of you who know: After the sugar sheet has been prepared and placed on the cake, can the cake with the sugar sheet on it be stored in a box in the freezer? In the fridge? Is there a chance that the sheet would disintegrate or fall apart?
Thanks for your help :)

Reaction score
I’ve never made a sugar sheet before and would appreciate some help / info from those of you who know: After the sugar sheet has been prepared and placed on the cake, can the cake with the sugar sheet on it be stored in a box in the freezer? In the fridge? Is there a chance that the sheet would disintegrate or fall apart?
Thanks for your help :)

First of all how the cake is stored is going to depend on the type of cake.

The filling and icing should be compatible. Fondant doesn’t refrigerate well. And if you’ve colored your fondant you really don’t want to end up with condensation as it will bleed, so refrigerating is very challenging with a fondant covered cake. Plus humidity just breaks down the fondant. So if you have a filling that absolutely requires refrigeration, fondant isn’t a great choice.

Insofar as the sugar sheet, you need to follow the manufacturer’s guidelines on storage. Most know cakes will require refrigeration, and will state it’s ok. But food dyes are going to be sensitive to humidity. As are your icings.

Refrigeration is going to result in condensation. So you need to follow the manufacturers recommendations for storage. And try to guard against condensation. When storing a cake in the refrigerator, to mitigate against condensation place it in a heavy CORRIGATED cardboard box, like a moving box. Just make sure it’s a CLEAN NEW box. Then when you remove the cake from the refrigerator leave it in the box and let it come to room temperature in the box. It takes a long time but it’s the only way to guard against condensation.

now that said controlling condensation is NOT a guarantee that it’s not going to change the color of a sugar sheet.

The icing on your cake is the interface and the sheet dyes are ultimately going to determine how the sugar sheet reacts.

See video of how to create a box for your cakes. You don’t have to tape boxes together like that; you can just turn a box on its side and slide the cake in. Make sure you use a piece of non slip mat. And make sure the cake is on a cake board/drum larger than the cake.

I always buy a new heavy duty box from my local Staples. They are inexpensive. I don’t re-use boxes it’s an issue of food sanitation. I don’t put boxes back in my refrigerator that have been on car floors, outside possibly on the ground, possible on a kitchen floor. Nope, boxes are one and done. Ain’t going back in my refrigerator.

Ask a Question