Sugar, Sugar, Sugar, and More Sugar.

Reaction score
I love sugar cookies! Love Em! I especially love them when there slightly crispy on the outside, very chewy inside, and hot out of the oven. Every recipe I've tried is either too sweet, too hard, too buttery, or more like shortbread. I've tried leaving out vanilla or adding more, I've used almond extract. I have fiddled with butter and even venture to put a spoonful of peanut butter in my batter/dough. No matter what I do I can't seem to get the recipe right. Does anyone know a good sugar cookie recipe?

Reaction score
Do you want cut out or drop/formed (like rolled into a ball for baking...you know...bad with words today!)?

Reaction score
I use this one from America's Test Kitchen. I usually make snickerdoodles by adding cream of tartar and rolling them in cinnamon and sugar. ATK tests and tests their recipes and you can tell. I think this one is perfect.
Good luck!

Reaction score
SugarCookiesWM+TSB+038.jpg

Reaction score
I love soft, chewy sugar cookies! Delicious!! When you store them, is that when they get hard? My ma used to put a slice of bread in the tubberware with the cookies to keep them fresh. I don't know how or why it works but it does!

Reaction score
I have never been able to get the basic sugar cookie to turn out right. I now make the cut out versions and they come out wonderful. I use the basic recipe in the Betty Crocker cookbook.

Reaction score
I use this recipe my mother found years ago. It had something to do with Cookie Monster from Sesame Street. Anyway, I've made variations of that and they've come out delicious every time.

Reaction score
Wow, I'd never even try to bake it! It seems like the sort of thing that if you miss, it would have little redeeming value. But the picture! Yumm.

Reaction score
My sister's sugar cookies are kinda hard, lol. She is a great baker, she makes the nicest biscuits that melt in your mouth as soon as you bite them. So am kinda surprised she can pull this one off!! I guess this goes to show that sugar cookies are very hard to get right :( Not gonna try 'em anytime soon.

Reaction score
I tried reducing sugar in my cookies and the texture was just not the same! Do you guys have any idea why?

Reaction score
I love sugar cookies too, so I am right there with you. I actually never really make them on my own though, so I am going to have to look to see if there are an recipes hidden around here. I cannot image they are too tough to make though.

Reaction score
There was a room mother when my kids were in school that made the very best sugar cookies. They were topped with homemade frosting, and they were so good. I tried to get her recipe, but she wouldn't share. I don't really blame her. She could win awards with those cookies.

The ones pictured above look good, but hers were bigger.

Ugh, now I want sugar cookies!

These: http://www.chef-in-training.com/2015/02/perfect-sugar-cookies/ look like the ones I'm talking about.

Maybe the secret is in chilling the dough? I'm going to have to try this recipe.

Reaction score
If you mean sugar cookies are those with sugar covering, I don't think it is still in fashion here due to the issue of diabetes. You know people, they are getting health conscious now. But for me, anything that is delicious is fine as long as you eat moderately.

If you have Mrs. Fields cookies there, well, that's my favorite particularly the chocolate flavor. Whats' good in their cookies is they can melt in the mouth so the best way to eat it is bite by bite and let the flavor sink in your taste buds.

Reaction score
I'd use my mom's Best Butter Cookies recipe and top them off with sugar. They don't need it, because they do have sugar in the recipe, but a light sugar topping would be fine. They could also be topped with cinnamon, or a mixture of cinnamon and sugar.

Ask a Question