Sugarless Desserts

Reaction score
I need to cut way back on my sugar consumption,I found out recently that I am borderline diabetic and need to cut it down,, that is why I haven't been doing any baking lately,but I still have my sweet tooth :)

any ideas as what to bake or what to use for a substitute ? I'm looking for some good recipes to try,your help will be greatly appreciated :) I do love a good pie too lol

Reaction score
@justme4910 great to see you back! :D We'd been wondering where you'd been, sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis.

So I guess if you don't have full blown diabetes then you can still have some sugar (eg in fruit etc) but should steer clear of refined sugar, is that right? Sorry, don't know too much about diabetes. I've made some really nice things that are sweetened with dates or low-GI syrups, for example:

http://ohsheglows.com/2014/10/31/do...t-macaroon-tart-vegan-gluten-free-grain-free/
http://minimalistbaker.com/easy-baked-cheesecake-vegan-gf/

Oh She Glows and Minimalist Baker are both great resources for healthier yet delicious recipes - they are mostly vegan, avoid refined sugar, and tend to steer clear of things like refined wheat flour too.

I'll have a think for other recipes I've tried :)

Reaction score
Being diabetic, I'm supposed to stay away from "table sugar" which is basically white sugar.

But diabetes is different for everybody. Some can still eat sugar, some cannot have any at all.

The ONE BIG THING you have to watch out for, are foods that are high starches that turn to sugar once they get dissolved in your stomach.........white rice, processed flours, table sugars, etc...

There are tons of different kinds of artificial and non-sugar substitutes. You will just have to find the one that you like best and works best for your needs.

As for sugarless desserts..........theres a ton of recipes out there. Just depends on what kind of dessert you want. I still make banana pudding once in a while, and theres a really good choco pie recipe I use that has no sugar in it.

Then again, some things are meant to have actual sugar in them..............cheesecake, Key Lime Pie.........two of my favorites I've tried with artificial sweeteners, and they were GROSS!!!!!

You should be able to find sugarless cookies on the shelves in the grocery store if you want something simple like that.

But really, it just depends on what your Dr says you need to stay away from, as it's different for everybody.

Reaction score
I haven't been to my doctor and seen if it is just a uuuh blurb or not :) and I've been packing in the sugar during the Holidays :)

i think it will be all right :)

Hopefully

Reaction score
Well, fingers crossed ;)

Have you tried making any low-sugar desserts yet?

Ask a Question