Suggestions for cake pops

Cupcakes or Cake Pops?

• Total voters
Reaction score
I have two teenage daughters with birthdays coming up soon. All the moms in our area seem to have moved away from cupcakes and gone to cake pops for their teenagers' birthday parties. Does anyone here make cake pops? Do you have a favorite recipe you would recommend for a teenage girl who loves chocolate?

Reaction score
Cake pops are cute, but I see them as more work than cupcakes. Also, most people use low-quality ingredients for the binder and chocolate/candy shell so they end up not tasting as good, in my opinion. Still, they make a fun decoration!

Reaction score
Cake pops are cute, but I see them as more work than cupcakes. Also, most people use low-quality ingredients for the binder and chocolate/candy shell so they end up not tasting as good, in my opinion. Still, they make a fun decoration!

I have to agree with you on this one. There is something just seems lacking in overall taste. I do like all the interesting ways the cake pops are decorated, though. They get more artsie every day.

Reaction score
There are now available silicone molds to help us create cake pops the easy way. I bought a few molds online and was able to use them on a few occasions. Pretty neat as the pops come out of the mold easily. I can just also use an off the shelf cake mix and pour the batter on it. One mold would only cost about 2 to 2.5 dollars. Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Here's an easy looking recipe for cake pops that entails starting with cake mix.
If you want to use your own plain chocolate cake recipe, you could start with your own cake and follow the rest of the tutorial from there.

http://veronicascornucopia.com/2010/01/20/cake-pops-2/

LOL...well, since I think cupcakes are often too much work, these cake pops look even more so! They ARE cute, though...and I love truffles. These rather look like truffles on a stick.

lynn....is this what your daughters want? I often want to do something different from what everyone else is doing, but that's not always the way of teenagers!

Reaction score
You know those cupcake makers that heat up like a waffle iron and make instant cupcakes? They make cake pop makers, and you can also use the little cake ball machine to make doughnut holes and takoyaki.

So the amount of work depends on what kind of cake pops you're making.
If you use cake mix and the little electric machine, it's no harder than making waffles.

Reaction score
Thinking about truffles on a stick made me think, instead of cake pops, you could do brownie pops! That way this satisfies your daughter's love of chocolate, and it would probably be easier, and according to everyone on here, taste better than cake pops! I'm sure you could still use the same mold and sticks as you would cake pops, just change the batter from cake to brownie. Then you can decorate the top and they'd still look cute and different.

Reaction score
I like the idea of cake pops. You can dress them up nicely. Cake pops are really simple to make . You can use any recipe for cup cake for cake pops too. Check out pinerest there is no shortage of cake pop recipes there.

Ask a Question