Suggestions for shipping a cake

Reaction score
Have you ever experience sending a cake that you personally bake for special people like your family, relatives and friends by shipping it in a courier? How do you make your packaging so that it will be safe and is still in good condition when it reach the receiver? Any suggestions with regards for shipping a cake.?

Reaction score
I've never sent a cake, but I've sent things like biscuits before. I would imagine that the sturdier the cake the better - something like a fruit cake would probably work well.

What did you have in mind?

Reaction score
Well I have to say that I have never faced this dilemma, and I am glad to say that because I would have no idea where to even start if I needed to. I would say something like @Becky mentioned above...just make it as sturdy as possible and make sure that it does not move around, but I am not sure how you would go about doing that.

Reaction score
It depends on what kind of cake it is.

Sending decorated cakes takes a special courier. One that has cold storage units for shipping and will ship the container with as little motion as possible. The only way you can really ship a decorated cake is frozen, and the cake has to be secured to the cake board, and the cake board has to be secured to the box it will be in, and then the box placed inside the cold storage container. As long as the cake stays frozen and upright, and not dropped, it should be ok. But this is very expensive.

If it is just something like pound cake or just plain cake itself, then that can be wrapped in layers of plastic wrap, placed in a box with foam padding that fits it, and then placed inside another padded box.

If it's a bundt cake, something sturdy should be placed in the center of the cake (like a funnel) so it has some inner support. Then it should be wrapped in plastic very well. And again, placed in a padded box with paper stuffing, stiff enough so the cake doesnt move, but not so firm it crushes the cake.

I've mailed mini cakes before, and they seem to get there ok with no real problems. I've never shipped a whole, regular sized cake.

How ever you ship it, make sure you have plenty of "this side up" stickers on it, as well as "fragile" and "do not drop or crush".

Regardless, you always run the risk of your cake arriving crushed, banged up, or broken apart.

Reaction score
Thanks for all your suggestions and I appreciated it that much. Actually it is my friend who is planning to send a cake to a courier and is asking me but I have not yet experience in doing so that is why I decided to asked it here. I will just tell her what I learned from all your comments. :)

Reaction score
When I am transporting a cake, I am using my car. I always have a passenger in the car with me, that will hold the cake on their lap. We drive slighly slower than normal, and if I am going to turn, or it may get bumpy for a second, I let them know to be prepared, and they lift it slightly to avoid it falling. So far, it hasnt failed me.

Reaction score
Well, when it comes to cakes, I really wouldn't recommend you to ship it since it's probably not going to arrive looking the same way you're going to send it with, however, you could always try to hire very qualified shipping companies that could offer that kind of special service, good luck.

Ask a Question