Suggestions on a healthy dessert

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to be healthier and choose less fattening food. What can you guys suggest for a healthy and low fat dessert? Or anything with added fruit? I'd love to hear back from you guys.

Thanks! :)

Reaction score
You could always have a bowl of cut-up fruit with a little sugar sprinkled on top - or powered sugar. Or, even the light or fat
free whipped cream..............the sugar would give the fruit a little "juice" so it would feel more like you were eating
a syrup!! You could even add some "granola" layers and make a parfait.
Yum! Makes me really look forward to summer!! LOL

Reaction score
I am obsessed with strawberries and frozen bananas dipped in dark chocolate. I also really like stuffing a raspberry with a dark chocolate chip!

Reaction score
For one serving.

1 fresh apple, sliced
a dollop or two of fat free plain yogurt
cinnamon (to taste)

Mix ingredients together.
The taste is very reminiscent of apple pie but so much healthier. The apple provides all the sweetness you need (don't use granny smiths though!)

Prep time, about a minute depending on your knife skills.

Reaction score
I replace half the oil required in things like brownies with an equal amount of apple sauce or other fruit like prunes made into a sauce.

Nobody ever notices, except that the finished product is much moister. If I made things with all oil now they would say it was dry.

You don't have to give up deserts, just look at the ingredients and see what little things you can do to make it healthier.

I have also found that many recipes can be made with less sugar than a recipe calls for. Go slowly, remove 1 tsp at a time from the recipe, which will give your family a chance to adjust and they won't notice. You'll know when you've reached the point where you need to stop, or maybe need to back up 1 teaspoon.

Reaction score
Thank you for your comments! I will definitely try all of these because they sound so delicious! I really like the idea of frozen fruit and then yogurt. That probably sounds like the healthiest of desserts! It would also be good for a post workout meal! Yum!

Reaction score
I agree -- fruit with a light whipped cream is so yummy, and it's pretty healthy.

You can also make a chocolate pudding pie that is a little lighter than most desserts. Start off with a chocolate graham cracker crust (that's the unhealthy part). Then, make sugar-free instant chocolate pudding according to the directions, mix it with half a container of sugar-free Cool Whip (thawed), spread in the crust, and then top with the rest of the sugar-free Cool Whip. It's VERY good.

Reaction score
I'd be careful about the sugar free stuff. Especially aspartame, it is the worst. It actually turns into formaldehyde when it is mixed with liver enzymes. It's first side effect is- weight gain! But it is a long list, ending in coma and death. It is a neurotoxin, and if you are looking for something that is healthier, that's not what you want.

All of the artificial sweeteners have something that makes them unhealthy.

Stevia is a safe herb that sweetens things nicely, though the processed stevia can leave it with an odd taste.

Reaction score
Anything with Banana! Banana is not my favorite fruit but I love adding it to my Oatmeal, Vanilla Ice Cream, Cereal or just plain Yogurt. It really makes my dessert tasty and filling. You can also just dip it in melted dark chocolate. Oh and I saw a really simple recipe online where you just slice and then freeze one or two bananas and then blend it in the morning. You'll be surprised you already have home-made banana ice cream. You can also add slices of strawberries on top. :)

Reaction score
You would get a different answer from me as I strive to eat low carb, so I would have suggested a cheesecake made with an almond flour crust using xylitol or stevia for sweetner. lol
But if you prefer to eat low fat, I would suggest searching out recipes for icecream using bananas as the base. I know there are some amazing ones out there. Maybe a vegan site might have some recipes and you could substitute ingredients with things you like better if it is not to your liking.

Reaction score
The healthy dessert that I've been into lately is frozen blueberries and almond milk. Add 1/2 cup of frozen blueberries to a bowl and then pour 1/4 cup almond milk over the top of the blueberries. The blueberries freeze the almond milk, so it's like a mock ice cream. Sometimes I'll add 1 oz dark chocolate and a little bit of whipped cream. Dark chocolate is so good for you. If you're eating 60% cacao and higher, it's guilt free!

Keep in mind that fat-free and sugar-free are SO bad for you. Your body needs fat in moderation. :)

Ask a Question