Summer cook-out desserts

Reaction score
Here in the US, Memorial Day weekend is the unofficial start of summer. Parades, outdoor concerts, and family cook-outs ring in the warm weather festivities. What are folks making for dessert this weekend?

Desserts I'm making: Layered Lemon Delight and Brownies
My mother is making her "Rated R" cake. (R stands for RUM! :cool:)
My sister is making her amazing fruit salad.
(For those who are wondering, my terrible baker in-law has agreed to bring assorted ice cream and toppings for the sundae bar. Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy! :D )

What's for dessert at your cook-out?

Reaction score
I really like eating banana pudding homemade of course and some fruit salad, Cake, there are just so many different kinds of desserts on holidays like this , everybody bakes their own favorite and brings it to the cookout, sometimes it is apple pie or cherry pie, sometimes there is cookies etc. So many good things to eat for dessert that I just try a little of everything.:)

Reaction score
I really like eating banana pudding homemade of course and some fruit salad, Cake, there are just so many different kinds of desserts on holidays like this , everybody bakes their own favorite and brings it to the cookout, sometimes it is apple pie or cherry pie, sometimes there is cookies etc. So many good things to eat for dessert that I just try a little of everything.:)
OMG! I've been craving banana pudding for the past 2 days. I might have to break down and make some this weekend... Hubby may find me hiding in my closet with a giant spoon in one hand, an empty pudding bowl in the other, and a mouth covered in Nilla Wafer crumbs, passed out from sheer gluttonous pleasure. :D

Reaction score
I haven't tried it yet, but on one cooking show I saw them put peach halves on the grill with brown sugar on the flat side. It looked tasty.

Reaction score
Rum cake sounds delicious! I've never tried that. All of my summer cook-out desserts are simple cupcakes, brownies or cookies. Aside from that, jello with whipped cream, pudding and flan seems to be popular with my friends when I ask what I should bring to bbqs!

Reaction score
OMG! I've been craving banana pudding for the past 2 days. I might have to break down and make some this weekend... Hubby may find me hiding in my closet with a giant spoon in one hand, an empty pudding bowl in the other, and a mouth covered in Nilla Wafer crumbs, passed out from sheer gluttonous pleasure. :D

I know what you mean, I love homemade banana pudding too, I especially loved the way my mom made it. Hiding in the closet with a big spoon and some banana pudding sounds like an idea:Dlol!

Reaction score
I'll be making Brownies and Cupcakes for our BBQ later! I plan to decorate them with little flags and other cute designs. I might have to try something like Banana Pudding, right now that sounds absolutely delicious.

Reaction score
I haven't tried it yet, but on one cooking show I saw them put peach halves on the grill with brown sugar on the flat side. It looked tasty.

That's what I was thinking. If I do a cookout this upcoming summer, I think I'd like to do grilled fruit on the grill. I heard that you can also grill slices of pound cake and then drizzle fruit with a balsamic vinegar glaze over them.

Reaction score
I love banana pudding, blueberry cobbler, peach cobbler, icebox pie, chocolate mousse pie...mmm...I love all sorts of things at summer cookouts. Now that I've read this post, I'm really excited about the food that I'm going to eat this summer! (PIG!)

Reaction score
I have two go to summer cook out recipes. One is bite size cheesecakes, they are baked in small foils that are slightly larger than a quarter, with a graham cracker crust and I alternate putting a cherry or blueberry sauce on top. (I tend to make this recipe for 4th of July a lot.) The other is an angel food cake that is cut into thin slices and placed in a large flat serving dish, I place the slices of cake along the bottom and then add some whipping cream and fruit, another layer of cake, whipping cream and fruit...

Reaction score
I saw some roasted bananas in honey sauce on Pinterest that are served with ice cream. I guess when you're doing a summer cookout, you also want to grill your dessert so that you don't have to heat up the house by turning on the oven.

Reaction score
Chocolate dipped strawberries! So simple and classic but soooo tasty. It can get messy in the summer though lol.

Reaction score
Blackberry cobbler with vanilla ice cream is the kicker to my Summer. My sister got me started on this almost 10 years ago when that's all she would eat. I've made a few homemade but nothing's better than the store bought frozen cobbler that you have to bake. I can't wait for one now.

Reaction score
Whenever we have a cook out or pot luck to attend, I will typically always make a dump cake. The reason that I choose this is that it is always a hit and it is something that is really easy to prepare.

Reaction score
I always enjoy making banana pudding, lemon squares, and brownies. I also make a really good vanilla bundt cake with strawberries and whipped cream in the middle. People go crazy over that and it's really pretty! I'm not a huge fan of lime but I made my husband lime bars and he really enjoyed them. They're basically lemon bars but I just replaced the lemon with lime. Any sort of soda cake is always a hit too. Dr. Pepper cake is pretty good and pretty easy to make. I also make dump cakes! My dad loves dump cake and I usually make it for him on Easter.

Reaction score
Strawberry short cake is on of my favorite things to bring to a summer cook out. It travels well and is a crowd favorite. This is not a costly dish to make in the summer because the berries are in season.

Reaction score
I love strawberry shortcake, banana pudding and blueberry cobbler during the summer! I am hoping to experiment with some new desserts this year, though.

Ask a Question