Summertime baking

Reaction score
It's hot where I live today. Hot hot hot.

The idea of turning on my oven is not appealing in the slightest...but sometimes you just have to use it to bake!

How do you find your baking in summer? Do you do less of it to avoid heating your house up?

And - has anyone tried 'crockpot baking'?

I've seen some people talk about it before (on my social media accounts!) but I'm curious to know if any of you have had much success with it. Cakes and such would be good to make in there, so that I don't heat up my entire home - but I just don't know how they would fare, consistency wise.

Reaction score
I also hesitate to bake much in the summer. My AC stayed on all day, despite me putting the thermostat on 79. I will probably wait a few days until the temperatures drop slightly, before baking, but you know none of us can go too long without baking something.

I have heard of crockpot baking, but have never tried it. I have a larger than usual crockpot, and it's oblong, rather than being round, so I'm not sure how well the dessert in a crockpot recipes that I've encountered would fare in it. The idea does intrigue me, though, especially when the idea of turning the oven on is unappealing.

Reaction score
I also hesitate to bake much in the summer. My AC stayed on all day, despite me putting the thermostat on 79. I will probably wait a few days until the temperatures drop slightly, before baking, but you know none of us can go too long without baking something.

I have heard of crockpot baking, but have never tried it. I have a larger than usual crockpot, and it's oblong, rather than being round, so I'm not sure how well the dessert in a crockpot recipes that I've encountered would fare in it. The idea does intrigue me, though, especially when the idea of turning the oven on is unappealing.

Mine's oblong too, so I'm in the same boat - but I'm curious to give something a whirl at least some time this summer in it! If for no other reason than to let you all know that oblong crockpots are no good for baking in! ;)

Reaction score
Mine's oblong too, so I'm in the same boat - but I'm curious to give something a whirl at least some time this summer in it! If for no other reason than to let you all know that oblong crockpots are no good for baking in! ;)

I think it might not make as much of a difference with something like a cobbler, as long as you added in enough ingredients to compensate for the larger size. Come to think of it, a cobbler would probably be perfect, because they're so much better when warm, and you could turn the crockpot to low and leave it sitting for a gathering.

Reaction score
Actually that's a perfect idea! I just searched for crockpot cobbler recipes and there seem to be a ton of them! I love cobblers at this time of year too - I usually make one from the Pioneer Woman's cookbook, I am sure I could just throw that all in the crockpot too, it'd just be a question of how to convert the time from an oven based recipe to a crockpot one! :)

Reaction score
Actually that's a perfect idea! I just searched for crockpot cobbler recipes and there seem to be a ton of them! I love cobblers at this time of year too - I usually make one from the Pioneer Woman's cookbook, I am sure I could just throw that all in the crockpot too, it'd just be a question of how to convert the time from an oven based recipe to a crockpot one! :)

There might be a conversion chart for that somewhere online, or maybe you could actually ask her yourself, via social media. Many of the 'personalities' will answer questions like that via Twitter, Instagram, or Facebook. I like her recipes myself, she has a nice down home style, and the recipes are usually not too difficult.

Reaction score
There might be a conversion chart for that somewhere online, or maybe you could actually ask her yourself, via social media. Many of the 'personalities' will answer questions like that via Twitter, Instagram, or Facebook. I like her recipes myself, she has a nice down home style, and the recipes are usually not too difficult.

I might do that! I follow her on Instagram, but she gets so many comments that I don't know she would reply...but I guess maybe even one of her followers might reply! It's worth a try, otherwise I'll have a look and do a search - I bet it's out there online somewhere! :)

Reaction score
We are having a rather mild summer this year and so I have been doing a little more baking than normal. I am trying to keep the freezer full of fresh baked cookies. When it is hot outside I steer clear of the freezer and make things like no bake cream pies and stuff like that.

Reaction score
We are having a rather mild summer this year and so I have been doing a little more baking than normal. I am trying to keep the freezer full of fresh baked cookies. When it is hot outside I steer clear of the freezer and make things like no bake cream pies and stuff like that.

I'm jealous that you're having a mild one! I like mild summers, but here it seems anything but mild...we have had a string of really hot days this week!

Reaction score
Well my baking really does tend to go down in the summertime, just because the heat makes a lot of my favorites treats not as enjoyable, but I am always looking for some alternatives to enjoy in the summer. I have had some luck here, so that is certainly a good thing. It seems that anything involving ice cream on top can really make the adaptation pretty smooth, but other things including fresh fruits are the ones that I tend to have more luck with.

Reaction score
It is also summer season here in our place and everyday it is getting hotter but the wind is sometimes cool at night. I am not baking if the weather is like this because I hate the heat of the oven during this time. What I am preparing are easy no bake recipes and the crockpot cobbler recipes that was discussed above is a nice idea too and peaches cobbler is my favorite.

Reaction score
I have heard that you can make baked goods in the Crockpot and even pressure cookers. I just can't imagine how they would turn out.

I tried some of those mug cakes in the past, but I didn't care for the consistency.

The best method I found was using the toaster oven to bake small batches. It puts off far less heat than the regular over.

It gets hot here too, and it is right now!

Ask a Question