Super Easy but cute for Summer

Reaction score
Bake a layer cake. Frost it. Add a pair of kid's toy sunglasses (arms removed) for eyes and candy for a mouth. Done!

To add a bit more, use yellow icing to make it look like a sun, with triangles made from paper going around the outside edge of the cake for rays. You can also make a one using that edible Easter grass stuff for hair and add a paper bow or a little hat made from paper.

Five minute decorating - can't get much faster than that.

Reaction score
That sounds like a great idea :) Thanks for sharing! Wish you had posted a picture as well, I'm more of a visual learner and it really helps me to see things instead of reading a description. Where did you find this idea, Pineterest?

Reaction score
Sorry, I don't have a picture. I made it a long time ago. I made the sunglasses cake in a pinch once for a last minute little birthday party and just gave all the kids a little pair of sunglasses too. I probably saw it in a women's magazine or something like that. I really don't remember, but it was way before Pinterest was a thing. I just started thinking of other ways you could do it as well, and I thought the edible grass would make cute hair (and I often "cheat" by using paper in my decorating). I'm sure I'm not the only one to have done stuff like this though, so you might be able to find some others out there. Pinterest is always a great place to look for stuff like this. I don't even buy magazines any more since I found Pinterest. :)

Reaction score
Oh, it sounds like a wonderful idea! Women magazines had their time ;) I used to read them as well, but no longer buy them as well. I wonder how some women magazines are still being printed, I'm sure many people out there is doing the same we are doing. They were wonderful before the internet tho :)

Reaction score
I love the idea of the sunglasses cake - I have one child who was born in the middle of summer, and this would've been perfect for her. I'm going to pass this idea on to my niece who has a little 3 year old summer baby.

I agree with the discussion about Pinterest / Women's Magazines. I am a total Pinterest-aholic! It was getting so bad that I finally had to limit myself to 10 or 15 minutes at the end of the day - kind of like a reward! Ha! It's so funny when I think about it, but the site is so darn addicting, a person can get lost in there and two hours later you look up unbelieving that two hours has gone by.

Ask a Question