Superb Easy Cake Decorating Idea

Reaction score
Many times we struggle too much with decorating ideas that look great in photos, but sounds complex when it comes to use our skills to get those pretty whipped cream ornaments, not to mention that we may not have whipped cream in the fridge.

So that, when I found this idea watching TV some nights ago, I though to come and share it with you because it only requires powdered sugar (also known as confectioners' sugar or icing sugar) which can be stored in a cabinet for long time without deteriorating, hence you will always have this ingredient for a last-minute cake decorating need.

The ideas is as simple as placing a stencil or doily over the cake and sprinkle the powdered sugar generously. In fact you can create your own stencils for a unique decoration.

Perhaps you already knew about this idea, but while I think to have heard of it many years ago, I had forgotten it, mostly oriented to get more fancy and complex cake decorations that is the worst option when you are in a rush.

Reaction score
Never heard it and it is a great idea. I have a good friend who loves french toast and I may expand the stencil idea to add a flair to the french toast. Thank you.

Reaction score
Yes, I have heard of that, it can be very pretty with a doily - I have also seen using a stencil for sprinkles as well. Birdonacake.com has some tutorials for stenciling and doily ideas..

Reaction score
That is a great tip. I do not a very steady hand when it comes to the decoration portion. I can bake, roll, mix, and make a giant mess.

I like the doily idea.

Here comes the silly question. What if I want to decorate on top of icing. How would I use the stencil or doily without ruining the icing?

Reaction score
Hmm... not sure but perhaps with a coat of spray cooking oil over the stencil or doily.

Would have to try myself first to see if this works, unless you go ahead of me with this.

Reaction score
That is very cool! I have never heard of those techniques before! Gotta start using them in my kitchen!

Reaction score
Hmm... not sure but perhaps with a coat of spray cooking oil over the stencil or doily.

Would have to try myself first to see if this works, unless you go ahead of me with this.

I am afraid to try it. Knowing me, I will make a mess of it. I will try it on cake itself. Not sure if I want to ruin the frosting. Although, it would give me a great excuse to lick the icing of the cake.

I did go and get the doily, as we will be making a couple of cakes for Christmas. I thought this would be a great idea. I am considering decorating a giant cookie that I will be making.

Reaction score
That is a really lovely simple idea! I do struggle with decorating cakes and often I tend to avoid doing much decoration because I'm really not the best at it.

But this seems like a really pretty, nice and simple idea - thanks for the tip! I will definitely try this with the doily sometime soon!

Reaction score
I loved doing this as a child with my mom’s doilies, the only problem I had was when I took it off; it would smear or not hold the design. I am going to think this was due to child hands and patience, although I do not have child hands anymore I am pretty sure I have the same patience.
Thank you for reminding me about this, I will definitely have to try this again to see how it goes.

Reaction score
Wow! That is a fantastic idea! I've never done anything like that. It would be pretty awesome to stencil someoneone's name for their birthday. You could make your own stencil using thick paper or something. Time to get crafty! :) You could alsocjust use cookie cutters. Lightly place a cookie cutter and fill it in with the powdered sugar. I will definitely have to try this out! Thanks for sharing!

Reaction score
What an excellent idea! I also like someone's idea of doing this on french toast! I have done something similar on a 13x9 birthday cake. After it was frosted I positioned a small size cookie cutter on top and used it as a frame to drop colored sprinkles, leaving the sprinkles on the cake only in the shape of the cookie cutter. Same concept, different look, although the doily cutouts with powdered sugar would look much more dainty and elegant. This would be a cute idea for a baby or bridal shower.

Reaction score
This is a really great idea, specially if you are not that into cake decoration, but you don't feel like leaving the cake just like that. I wish you had posted some pictures tho I'm more of a visual person ;) But I'll still keep this in my mind next time I bake a cake and I have no idea how to decorate it (that happens most of the time I bake a cake!).

Reaction score
I love this idea- I've seen so many beautiful and impressive desserts done with this method :). I've only tried it once, with little bat cookie cutters to make a stencil for a cake, but it was simple and looked great :).

Ask a Question