Swapping a filling for Sweet Potato Layer Cake...

Reaction score
I have a 3 layer cake recipe I haven't made in years that keeps calling to me. It is from Southern Living and is called Sweet Potato Cake with Coconut Filling and Caramel Icing - which is a mouthful! And the cake itself is oh such a good mouthful!

My concern is that there are a lot of people that just don't care for coconut. The filling is almost a like a coconut curd, if you will, very thick.

So I've been debating on swapping it out for something else but keeping the rest of the cake and the icing the same. What do you all thick of using a thick cinnamon apple butter for the filling instead?

I have a home canned version that I think would be perfect, it is nice and thick. But I know there can sometimes be a trick to the moisture content when using home canned items in baking.

Or any other ideas for an alternate middle layer? The icing is the kind your pour over the cake so I don't know that just using more of it in the middle layer would work.

Ask a Question