Swiss roll baking tray

Reaction score
Hi, im really new for this site, so please help me to solve the problem
I found this very cute swiss roll shape, but i have no idea how to made it ( the baking pan)
Anyone know how to bake to make it like that?thanks

Attachments

• 1501347208931.jpg
    1501347208931.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 482
Reaction score
Hi, im really new for this site, so please help me to solve the problem
I found this very cute swiss roll shape, but i have no idea how to made it ( the baking pan)
Anyone know how to bake to make it like that?thanks

In all honesty I will say that the pan looks to be problematic. Notice the uneven browning on the cake roll? That's an indication of uneven heat distribution. Parts of the cake are going to be drier than other parts. The uneven baking may cause problems when you roll it. The dryer areas will crack as they do not have the flexibility necessary to roll.

If you look at the ends of the cake you'll see it doesn't look like regular cake. That texture is an indication of a very high ratio of whipped eggs to flour.

I think your best bet is to look for a classic roulade recipe. Don't try a sponge cake like the Swiss rolls. Given the visible indications of uneven heat distribution, I think the Swiss roll sponge cake is going to be way too dense to roll without it cracking and falling apart.

I would recommend using a recipe like Rose Levy Beranbaum's roulade recipe from Heavenly Cakes or Joy of Baking. Both have a very high egg to flour ratio.

Joy of Baking roulade recipe
http://www.joyofbaking.com/SpongeCakeorBiscuit.html

Levy Beranbaum's recipe is in a copyright book so I cannot post the recipe here.

Video on how to roll a roulade without cracking it.
http://www.finecooking.com/article/how-to-roll-a-roulade-cake

Reaction score
Wow..............you completely went a different way with that. Of course I usually take the more literal sense of things.

The inclination I got from reading that post, is that they want to know how to get the pan to bake the cake with those stripes on it.

If thats the case, I would say they used a specialty pan, or had some sort of insert they used inside the pan before pouring in the batter.

They also could have used some gadget to score the cake like that, peeling off a thin layer and section of the cake, so the lighter insides show through as stripes.

Reaction score
Wow..............you completely went a different way with that. Of course I usually take the more literal sense of things.

The inclination I got from reading that post, is that they want to know how to get the pan to bake the cake with those stripes on it.

If thats the case, I would say they used a specialty pan, or had some sort of insert they used inside the pan before pouring in the batter.

They also could have used some gadget to score the cake like that, peeling off a thin layer and section of the cake, so the lighter insides show through as stripes.

Yeah I think you're right. I thought she meant that she had the jelly roll sheet pan already and was looking how to make the cake. The channels in that pan are similar to a broiling pan or grilling pan. It reminds me of my cast iron reversable grill or those disposable aluminum foil sheet pans they sell around the holidays. A broiler pan or aluminum foil pan would explain the very uneven baking. That cake looks terrible on the bottom.

Reaction score

thank's for the feedback
yes, you're right, I'm sorry if I wasn't explain well enough
since my English isn't very good
do you have any idea what kind of pan they used?
somekind of non stick pan maybe?

Reaction score
Yeah I think you're right. I thought she meant that she had the jelly roll sheet pan already and was looking how to make the cake. The channels in that pan are similar to a broiling pan or grilling pan. It reminds me of my cast iron reversable grill or those disposable aluminum foil sheet pans they sell around the holidays. A broiler pan or aluminum foil pan would explain the very uneven baking. That cake looks terrible on the bottom.

hi, thanks for the feedback
yes, I think something like that too, but if they used cast iron or regular grilling pan
wouldn't the cake would stick to the pan after baking?
and they can't make that stripe beautifully

Reaction score
hi, thanks for the feedback
yes, I think something like that too, but if they used cast iron or regular grilling pan
wouldn't the cake would stick to the pan after baking?
and they can't make that stripe beautifully

There are impression pastry mats used for something called joconde. Joconde is a thin cake used like an outer wrapper on a French pastry called an entremet. Most of the designs are classic shapes. They do make a mat with columns, but it has a lot more lines and it's quite large since they are designed for production baking.

Pastry impression mats are very shallow since the joconde is used as an outer wrap. The cake in your picture looks twice as thick as a joconde. I don't know if jonconde is strong enough to be rolled into a Swiss roll. But you can certain give it a try.

Joconde mats are very expensive since they are not for home baking.

https://secure.auifinefoods.com/columns-tapis-relief-silicon-mat-5927061687

http://www.bakedeco.com/detail.asp?...w1QIVAQBpCh3mggiIEAQYASABEgLmyfD_BwE#handling

http://www.pastrychef.com/PASTRY-RELIEF-MATS_p_1249.html

Reaction score
I just remembered another way to create lines although they won't be raised. But it's a lot cheaper than a joconde mat.

I wouldn't use the batter recipes in this video, but the technique for stripping is a good one. I'd use a real joconde paste, then a classic roulade over it.

Reaction score
I just remembered another way to create lines although they won't be raised. But it's a lot cheaper than a joconde mat.

I wouldn't use the batter recipes in this video, but the technique for stripping is a good one. I'd use a real joconde paste, then a classic roulade over it.

I was just thinking about this!

Yeah, maybe the lines on the rolls aren't impressions, but inserted pieces of lighter cake, or possibly even marzipan or fondant. Could even be a completely different kind of dough that is thick and you can mold and cut, like cookie dough or pastry dough.

Could even be something as simple as painted on food coloring on the pan before pouring in the dough.

Reaction score
I was just thinking about this!

Yeah, maybe the lines on the rolls aren't impressions, but inserted pieces of lighter cake, or possibly even marzipan or fondant. Could even be a completely different kind of dough that is thick and you can mold and cut, like cookie dough or pastry dough.

Could even be something as simple as painted on food coloring on the pan before pouring in the dough.

I've been wanting to do a decorative Swiss roll with sharp colored lines and polka dots. But instead of the spiral roll in the center I want to have just a single layer of cake on the outside. have a thin layer of buttercream. Then have the core more cake, but with a design so each slice has a center decoration in it. So maybe your thought of using a different dough to mold/cut might work for the center.

Ask a Question