Swiss Roll / Jelly Roll Advice Please

Reaction score
Hi fellow bakers,

I've dipped my toe into baking by trying to make a swiss roll. The recipe is simple: 100g of plain flour, 100g of caster sugar, and 4 whole eggs. I've had all sort of results, but the problem right now is the sponge cracks when rolling it up. I'd welcome any advice you bakers have to help me conquer this cake!

Dave

Reaction score
Hi fellow bakers,

I've dipped my toe into baking by trying to make a swiss roll. The recipe is simple: 100g of plain flour, 100g of caster sugar, and 4 whole eggs. I've had all sort of results, but the problem right now is the sponge cracks when rolling it up. I'd welcome any advice you bakers have to help me conquer this cake!

Dave

Not knowing how you are cooling the cake, not sure where the issue is.

There are a couple of techniques to prevent cracks, both involve cooling. See Stella Parks’ recipe and directions. She cools in the pan.

I’ve not made this cake, or used this method, but the science is the same as the method that I use below—which is to keep the cake steam from dissipating as the cake cools.

The other way is to turn out immediately and cool rolled up to keep the steam from dissipating as the cake cools. This is Rose Levy Beranbaum’s recipe and instructions. I’ve not made this recipe, but I use this method and it works.

Ingredients grams
cake flour (or bleached all-purpose flour)33
cornstarch24
4 large eggs, at room temperature200
about 1 large egg yolk, at room temperature18
superfine sugar113
pure vanilla extract.
cream of tartar.
powdered sugar for dusting

PREHEAT THE OVEN

Twenty minutes or more before baking, set an oven rack in the middle of the oven and preheat the oven to 450°F/230°C.

MIX THE FLOUR AND CORNSTARCH

In a small bowl, whisk the flour and cornstarch to combine well.

PREPARE THE EGGS

Separate 2 of the eggs, placing the yolks in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk beater and the egg whites in another bowl. To the yolks, add the 2 remaining whole eggs, the additional yolk, and ½ cup of the sugar. Beat on high speed until thick, fluffy, and tripled in volume, about 5 minutes. Lower the speed to medium and beat in the vanilla. (If you have only one mixer bowl, scrape the mixture into another large bowl and wash and dry the mixer bowl and whisk beater very thoroughly.)

MAKE THE BATTER

Sift half the flour mixture over the egg mixture and, using a large balloon whisk, slotted skimmer, or silicone spatula, fold it in gently but rapidly until almost all the flour has disappeared. Repeat with the remaining flour mixture until all traces of flour have disappeared.

MAKE THE MERINGUE

In the bowl of the stand mixer fitted with the whisk beater, beat the egg whites on medium speed until foamy. With the mixer off, add the cream of tartar. Raise the speed to medium-high and beat until soft peaks form when the beater is raised. Beat in the remaining 1 tablespoon of the sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks form when the beater is raised slowly. Fold the meringue into the batter. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the surface evenly with a small offset spatula.

BAKE THE CAKE

Bake for 7 to 8 minutes, or until golden brown and the cake springs back when pressed lightly in the center.

UNMOLD AND COOL THE CAKE

If necessary, loosen the sides of the cake with the tip of a sharp knife. Unmold the cake at once. Grasp the long edge of the liner and gently slide the cake from the pan onto a flat work surface. Dust the surface of the cake lightly with powdered sugar. While it is still hot, roll up the cake from the short end. Be sure to include the nonstick liner. (If using parchment, first flip the cake onto a clean dish towel and carefully remove the parchment. Then roll up the cake tightly, towel and all.)

Set the roll on a wire rack to cool until it is no longer warm to the touch, about 40 minutes.

Ask a Question