Improving Tart Pans for Your Baking Needs

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

I am the owner of a small family-owned business and I'm looking to sell Tart Pans. I'm probably going to sell the 9.5inch variant but I'm just having trouble with improving/differentiating and deciding a price point.

What do you think I can improve in the product. Or is there something additional you would love to come in the box along with a Tart Pan?

If you had three options, what would you pick?

A. 9.5 inch Tart Pan for $12.5
B. Pack of 2 9.5 inch Tart Pans for $16 - $17
C. One 9.5 Tart Pan along with Four 5 inch Mini Tart Pans for $21

P.S. Watching Cooking videos is my favourite past-time but i just can't wrap my head around this one :/

Thanks!

Reaction score
It’s not about price point

You have to know who your target market. Who is coming into your store? Are you a kitchen supply store? Are you catering to knowledgeable bakers and cooks?

Bakers are not buying price point, they’re buying performance.

30 minutes ago I was in this restaurant supply store, walking down this aisle. I passed the tart pans as I walked to the piping nozzles display. Like every customer that entered the store I was looking for specific items. When bakers buy a tool, they don’t shop by price, they shop by brand. They’re looking for specific performance.

Bakers know their tools. I only purchase Gobel uncoated tart tins. And when you walk into most restaurants supply stores, and specialty kitchen where stores like William Sonoma and Sur La Table you will find Gobel tart tins on the shelves for sale because professional pastry chefs and home bakers prefer them.

To be honest the stuff that you’ve listed above just sounds like a cheap junk. I don’t think you’re catering to actual bakers.

55C2A366-F107-4A23-AE27-82D117B3310E.jpeg

Reaction score
I stopped by the restaurant kitchen supply store in my town on my way home. They’ve served the restaurant and catering trade in the Napa Valley for 30 yrs

Gobel tart tins

15C219A7-F536-47B1-82FB-76555928C2E5.jpeg

Reaction score

@Norcalbaker59
Really Appreciate your opinion.

I will be selling online (probably on Amazon) to the general public. What do you think an average home-baker would prefer?

If you have your own ideas, I would be thrilled to hear them as well.

Reaction score

@Norcalbaker59

Really Appreciate your opinion.​

I will be selling online (probably on Amazon) to the general public. What do you think an average home-baker would prefer?​

If you have your own ideas, I would be thrilled to hear them as well.​

Here’s the thing you have to be careful with selling a cheap metal uncoated tart pan because they will rust like crazy after one run through the dishwasher. Even if you tell people to hand wash them they’re still gonna put them in the dishwasher because people don’t listen. And people are lazy. If you’re going to sell on Amazon all those buyers are going to jump on your site and start writing bad reviews taking about how they rusted after one use. So if you can’t get a professional brand tart pan then look for some thing that has a light colored non-stick coating that is dishwasher safe so it won’t rust. And a pan with a removable bottom. With a cake pan you don’t want a nonstick coating because the coating conducts too much eat, causing the cake to over brown and overbake, but with a tart pan you want a nice brown crust so a coating won’t hurt. And to be honest people that are shopping on Amazon for tart tins not that invested in baking. They may use the tin once or twice a year. when a baker is seriously looking for a piece of equipment they’re not going to Amazon. They’re going to their restaurant supply store or their specialty kitchen store.

if you’re going to sell baking supplies, probably better to supply things that don’t rust or require much maintenance. Things like silicone and rubber spatulas, off set spatulas, bowl scrapers, pastry tips, bench scrapers. rolling pins, measuring spoons, fine mesh sieves. Oh, food containers.

Reaction score
Here’s the thing you have to be careful with selling a cheap metal uncoated tart pan because they will rust like crazy after one run through the dishwasher. Even if you tell people to hand wash them they’re still gonna put them in the dishwasher because people don’t listen. And people are lazy. If you’re going to sell on Amazon all those buyers are going to jump on your site and start writing bad reviews taking about how they rusted after one use. So if you can’t get a professional brand tart pan then look for some thing that has a light colored non-stick coating that is dishwasher safe so it won’t rust. And a pan with a removable bottom. With a cake pan you don’t want a nonstick coating because the coating conducts too much eat, causing the cake to over brown and overbake, but with a tart pan you want a nice brown crust so a coating won’t hurt. And to be honest people that are shopping on Amazon for tart tins not that invested in baking. They may use the tin once or twice a year. when a baker is seriously looking for a piece of equipment they’re not going to Amazon. They’re going to their restaurant supply store or their specialty kitchen store.

if you’re going to sell baking supplies, probably better to supply things that don’t rust or require much maintenance. Things like silicone and rubber spatulas, off set spatulas, bowl scrapers, pastry tips, bench scrapers. rolling pins, measuring spoons, fine mesh sieves. Oh, food containers.
Yeah, Will keep that in mind, Thanks a lot.

What do you think about the height of the Tart Pan. Should I sell the shallow ones or ask the manufacturer to increase the height? I heard somewhere that deeper Tart Pans are better for making quiche. (Btw. I'm going to sell the ones with a removable bottom)

Plus, Please do answer the original question but look at it from the lens of an Average Consumers who's probably not that much into Baking.
Hello Everyone!

I am the owner of a small family-owned business and I'm looking to sell Tart Pans. I'm probably going to sell the 9.5inch variant but I'm just having trouble with improving/differentiating and deciding a price point.

What do you think I can improve in the product. Or is there something additional you would love to come in the box along with a Tart Pan?

P.S. Watching Cooking videos is my favourite past-time but i just can't wrap my head around this one :/

Thanks!

Reaction score
Yeah, Will keep that in mind, Thanks a lot.

What do you think about the height of the Tart Pan. Should I sell the shallow ones or ask the manufacturer to increase the height? I heard somewhere that deeper Tart Pans are better for making quiche. (Btw. I'm going to sell the ones with a removable bottom)

Plus, Please do answer the original question but look at it from the lens of an Average Consumers who's probably not that much into Baking.

No keep the tart pan the standard dimensions. Recipes are formulated for standard dimensions. You mess with the dimensions, when people make up the pie dough and the filling and the tin is deeper than the standard, they’re not going to have enough dough and filling.

The industry (cooks, bakers, manufacturers) sets the standard for equipment, not the seller.

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

Thanks!

find a youtube baker with a million views, send them some sample molds in return for a mention.
for the general public the price is whatever they will pay.

Ask a Question