Tea Cakes

Reaction score
Growing up my aunt used to always bake these cookies she called 'tea cakes'. They were nice and crunchy around the edges but good and chewy in the middle. I've seen many recipes for them and have tried quite a few of them. Those are not the cookies I'm looking for. If anyone has seen any recipes, or even knows how to make them, would you mind please sharing the recipe? I'd appreciate it greatly.

#missingtheolddays

Reaction score
I have a tea cakes recipe, not sure if this would be the one you are looking for:

Tea Cakes
Ingredients:
1 cup shortening
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
1 heaping teaspoon soda
2 eggs
1 heaping teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla
½ cup buttermilk
Sifted flour and extra sugar as needed

Preparation:
  • Cream shortening and sugar.
  • Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
  • Add vanilla and salt. Dissolve soda and baking powder in buttermilk.
  • Mix well with other ingredients.
  • Add enough sifted flour to make soft dough, but stiff enough to roll.
  • Cut out and place on well-greased cookie sheet.
  • Sprinkle with sugar. Bake at 400˚ until golden brown.

Reaction score
The old school tea cakes that most people don't even know about.

The only time I even run into these tea cakes is either at my grandparents or parents house. Just can't seem to find them in stores for some reason.

Reaction score
I have a tea cakes recipe, not sure if this would be the one you are looking for:

Tea Cakes
Ingredients:
1 cup shortening
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
1 heaping teaspoon soda
2 eggs
1 heaping teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla
½ cup buttermilk
Sifted flour and extra sugar as needed

Preparation:
  • Cream shortening and sugar.
  • Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
  • Add vanilla and salt. Dissolve soda and baking powder in buttermilk.
  • Mix well with other ingredients.
  • Add enough sifted flour to make soft dough, but stiff enough to roll.
  • Cut out and place on well-greased cookie sheet.
  • Sprinkle with sugar. Bake at 400˚ until golden brown.
Thanks MyDigitalpoint, I'm about to go and try these. I sure hope these are the ones!!! Fingers crossed!!!

Reaction score
I swear, it is like you read my mind. I was thinking yesterday about how I need to look up a tea cake recipe! I had a teacher in grade school who made them for my class. She was an old teacher and her tea cakes were awesome! I did have the recipe, but it does not seem to be in my recipe box. Tell me if that was a good recipe, please.

Reaction score
I swear, it is like you read my mind. I was thinking yesterday about how I need to look up a tea cake recipe! I had a teacher in grade school who made them for my class. She was an old teacher and her tea cakes were awesome! I did have the recipe, but it does not seem to be in my recipe box. Tell me if that was a good recipe, please.
Okay, teacake recipe update:

The recipe given to me is good, still not the one I'm looking for. I made adjustments and made a second batch...these are STILL not the right recipe but it somehow got a little closer.....Here is what I did

2 sticks of butter (I used salted)
2c. sugar
2 tsp. vanilla flavoring
3 eggs
1tbsp baking powder
flour (I didn't measure- I just added a little at a time until the dough was as thick as I wanted. For me this was spoonable but I had to shake it off the spoon to drop it onto the cookie sheet)

Melt butter to room temperature or in a microwave
Cream butter and sugar together
Add eggs, one at a time.
Mix well
Add vanilla. Mix well.
Start adding flour until cookie dough is of a consistency that you desire. They do spread so you may want to add a bit of space between them on the cookie sheet. My melded together and I just cut them in squares...

These were actually GREAT...and then I made another batch of them and my daughter, who LOVES coconut thought of adding coconut to the mixture. WOW. Now those were really good!

As I said though, I'm STILL on a quest to find the original recipe that I grew up on.....

Reaction score
Growing up my aunt used to always bake these cookies she called 'tea cakes'. They were nice and crunchy around the edges but good and chewy in the middle. I've seen many recipes for them and have tried quite a few of them. Those are not the cookies I'm looking for. If anyone has seen any recipes, or even knows how to make them, would you mind please sharing the recipe? I'd appreciate it greatly.

#missingtheolddays
Okay, teacake recipe update:

The recipe given to me is good, still not the one I'm looking for. I made adjustments and made a second batch...these are STILL not the right recipe but it somehow got a little closer.....Here is what I did

2 sticks of butter (I used salted)
2c. sugar
2 tsp. vanilla flavoring
3 eggs
1tbsp baking powder
flour (I didn't measure- I just added a little at a time until the dough was as thick as I wanted. For me this was spoonable but I had to shake it off the spoon to drop it onto the cookie sheet)

Melt butter to room temperature or in a microwave
Cream butter and sugar together
Add eggs, one at a time.
Mix well
Add vanilla. Mix well.
Start adding flour until cookie dough is of a consistency that you desire. They do spread so you may want to add a bit of space between them on the cookie sheet. My melded together and I just cut them in squares...

These were actually GREAT...and then I made another batch of them and my daughter, who LOVES coconut thought of adding coconut to the mixture. WOW. Now those were really good!

As I said though, I'm STILL on a quest to find the original recipe that I grew up on.....

Reaction score
Thank you so much, I'm going to make some this week. If I find the recipe I have, I'll share it so you can see what you think about it. I tend to leave my recipe cards laying about, instead of putting them back in the box.

Reaction score
Thank you so much, I'm going to make some this week. If I find the recipe I have, I'll share it so you can see what you think about it. I tend to leave my recipe cards laying about, instead of putting them back in the box.
Oh thank you! That would be cool! I didn't realize there were so many variations on the recipe, but quickly have found that most are not my idea of 'teacakes'.

Reaction score
I was looking for a recipe I was going to share, and I found my teacake recipe. The ingredients look the same, but it drastically smaller quantities. It says that it will make 15-24 cookies. Now, when you say that the recipes you found are not the same, do you mean you think it is missing an ingredient? Here is my recipe if you want to give it a go.

1/4 C butter 1 egg 1 C flour
1/2 C Sugar 1 tsp vanilla

* I am not sure what kind of flour. I probably used all purpose cause that is what I usually have.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease cookie sheet.

1. Cream butter and sugar

2. Add egg and vanilla

3. Add milk, then stir flour in slowly.

4. Knead dough, roll out and cut.

5. Bake 8-10 minutes.

Reaction score
I was looking for a recipe I was going to share, and I found my teacake recipe. The ingredients look the same, but it drastically smaller quantities. It says that it will make 15-24 cookies. Now, when you say that the recipes you found are not the same, do you mean you think it is missing an ingredient? Here is my recipe if you want to give it a go.

1/4 C butter 1 egg 1 C flour
1/2 C Sugar 1 tsp vanilla

* I am not sure what kind of flour. I probably used all purpose cause that is what I usually have.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease cookie sheet.

1. Cream butter and sugar

2. Add egg and vanilla

3. Add milk, then stir flour in slowly.

4. Knead dough, roll out and cut.

5. Bake 8-10 minutes.
Except for the addition of baking powder, this is identical to the batch I coined from the original posted recipe. I will try this one without the baking powder. When I say they're not the same, I mean the taste and textures are not the taste and texture I grew up on. I'm not sure if it's missing and ingredient(s) or extra ingredient(s). The ones I grew up on looked like little cakes by the texture. And the taste was indescribable, but so delicious- not too sweet but just right.

Reaction score
I remember thinking, when my teacher gave us the teacakes, that they were just fat sugar cookies. I was so wrong. The taste was less cookie and more tasty. It is so hard to describe the taste, but it is perfection. I had previously Googled recipes, but people were putting nutmeg and spices in them. Blasphemy! That is not a teacake, a teacake is perfection in itself.

Well, good luck, maybe you will find your perfect teacake soon.

Ask a Question