Tea in pound cake?

Reaction score
Hi! Is there any way for tea flavors (black tea/green tea) to be infused in a pound cake?

I specifically want to work on pound cake because it’s dense enough to hold a cream cheese filling when baked.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Reaction score
Hi! Is there any way for tea flavors (black tea/green tea) to be infused in a pound cake?

I specifically want to work on pound cake because it’s dense enough to hold a cream cheese filling when baked.

Any ideas? Thanks!

yup, bakers been doing this for years.

King Arthur’s chai tea in a bundt version. Chai tea cake was all the rage about 5 yrs ago. Then people realized it just tasted like spice cake, so nothing special. They aren’t very popular anymore, at least not in the states, but the recipes are still out there.

As for green tea, we Japanese call it matcha. There’s thousands of cake recipes on internet with matcha. Just google it and take your pick. Again, matcha saw its day.

Reaction score
Thanks for this!

A few follow-up questions:
  1. What do you think I use ground tea leaves just mixed in the batter?
  2. If I replaced the APF with purely cake flour, would I be able to achieve the same density?
Looking forward to your insights. Thanks again!

Reaction score
Thanks for this!

2. If I replaced the APF with purely cake flour, would I be able to achieve the same density?

Yes, you could probably use ground tea.

It is not advisable to replace the AP flour with cake flour. The King Arthur AP flour is unbleached. It has a protein content of 11.7%. Cake flour is bleached. It has a protein content of about 8%. Lower protein flour cannot absorb the same amount of liquid as the AP flour. The recipe is formulated for the higher protein flour. So the amount of liquid is too much for a low protein flour.

If you want to use cake flour, just google for a chai tea cake recipe with cake flour.

Reaction score
Thanks for this!

I would make a strong tea and ditch the leaves. Use the cold tea in the batter like a flavoring.

Ask a Question