Teatime in Narnia: Mr. Tumnus' Burnt Sugar Cake

Reaction score
My treat this week was a step into the wardrobe. C.S. Lewis has been a favorite of mine since childhood, and I have always wished I could find myself in the middle of a wintry wood and bump into Mr. Tumnus with an armful of packages. Then he'd invite me to a scrumptious tea by a hearth, and fill my soul with tea cakes and magical tales.

I found this recipe for Mr. Tumnus' Burnt Sugar cake and there was no question that I had to try it. Here is the link to the recipe: http://yummy-books.com/2012/07/24/tea-with-mr-tumnus/

I topped the cake with my own creative twists, specifically the cherries and the nuts. It's a delicious cake. The burnt sugar really comes through the flavor, it's not overly sweet but rich in flavor. And so moist and decadent!

I will definitely be making this again, probably as cupcakes next time.

IMG_2601.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Yum, that looks delicious! :) When I read The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe I remember really wanting to eat Turkish Delight. I'd never had it before! The stuff I subsequently tried never lived up to the idea of it I had in my mind.

Reaction score
Yum, that looks delicious! :) When I read The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe I remember really wanting to eat Turkish Delight. I'd never had it before! The stuff I subsequently tried never lived up to the idea of it I had in my mind.

Agreed! The blogger I got this recipe from expressed the same disappointment with Turkish Delight, calling it "perfume and corn starch." Definitely an acquired taste :)

Reaction score
View attachment 1950

My treat this week was a step into the wardrobe. C.S. Lewis has been a favorite of mine since childhood, and I have always wished I could find myself in the middle of a wintry wood and bump into Mr. Tumnus with an armful of packages. Then he'd invite me to a scrumptious tea by a hearth, and fill my soul with tea cakes and magical tales.

I found this recipe for Mr. Tumnus' Burnt Sugar cake and there was no question that I had to try it. Here is the link to the recipe: http://yummy-books.com/2012/07/24/tea-with-mr-tumnus/

I topped the cake with my own creative twists, specifically the cherries and the nuts. It's a delicious cake. The burnt sugar really comes through the flavor, it's not overly sweet but rich in flavor. And so moist and decadent!

I will definitely be making this again, probably as cupcakes next time.

Oh that looks yummy.

Ask a Question