TGBBS 3 Hour Laminated Dough

Reaction score
I've been watching Season One of The Great British Baking Show on Netflix. It doesn't seem to actually be season 1, because they talk as if the series has been going on forever. It has Louis and Martha, etc. Anyway, they use laminated dough a ton in 3 hourish challenges, and I thought maybe even though it showed them making laminated dough, that TV magic had them looking like it was just three hours. But, then in the final, someone said now that they can make croissants in 3 hours, they'll make them at Christmas. I know of a quick laminated dough method using grated frozen butter mixed into the dough, but it's not real laminated dough, and they had butter in between the layers as you should during turns, so HOW is this possible!?

Reaction score
Nevermind, I answered my own question. If anyone is looking for it, Nancy posts her recipe for raspberry almond croissants on the site: http://www.pbs.org/food/recipes/raspberry-almond-croissants/

Essentially its rolled out butter, popped in the freezer, then the dough uses a quick microwave proofing followed by a quick chill, then the butter foldover, and 15 minute freezes in between each turn followed by a refrigerated rest.

Reaction score
Nevermind, I answered my own question. If anyone is looking for it, Nancy posts her recipe for raspberry almond croissants on the site: http://www.pbs.org/food/recipes/raspberry-almond-croissants/

Essentially its rolled out butter, popped in the freezer, then the dough uses a quick microwave proofing followed by a quick chill, then the butter foldover, and 15 minute freezes in between each turn followed by a refrigerated rest.

Groan, fwiw the pic on the website looks absolutely terrible.
No flake, no layer separation. looks like pie dough.
Keep it simple.
Mix the dough, chill for an hour. Forget the microwave, thats too clever by half.
Now put the dough on the floured table.
lightly flour and bang and roll the butter so its malleable.
don't put the butter in the freezer, put it on the dough, its the perfect texture.
Go ahead and laminate away. I like one 3 fold and 1 book fold.
I do it all in one shot with no chilling between turns.
If you want to add a third fold it will have to be chilled to relax.
i'd let it chill 6 hrs , overnite is best.
one thing that will exponentially improve any croissant is fresh cake yeast.

Ask a Question