Thanksgiving desserts

Reaction score
What do you guys typically have for desserts on Thanksgiving? I know pies are pretty standard but my family usually throws in a flan (they're from Cuba) while my best friend's family buys a huge crate of persimmons and calls it a day!

Reaction score
We usually have sweet potato pie, and pecan pie. Last year we had both and a mahogany pound cake and a coconut pound cake my aunt made. It was devine. I need to ask her for the recipe.

Reaction score
Mini key lime pies are new for my family. I began to make personal desserts for my family and this year, key lime pie is going to be our dessert. I like the fact that everybody has their own pie versus one big one. I use cup cake tins and extra gram crackers. This always goes over well.

Reaction score
There is a recipe for apple cranberry cobbler that I have been wanting to try out. This is the time to get really fresh ingredients to make it extra delicious.

Reaction score
Persimmons sounds good! I haven't one in so long.... What is flan made of again? For thanksgiving I usually go for the standard pies just because they're so good.

Reaction score
Thanksgiving is usually about the pies here. Although, this year was the first year we didn't have a pie because I haven't figured out the gluten free baking yet! lol. My favourites are blueberry and cherry.. gawd I miss them! ;)

Reaction score
Seeing all these good ideas, I think I will do a variety of personal desserts. Cobbler (apple and peach), sweet potato pie, chocolate molten cupcakes, and key lime pie. This will definitely make the turkey and ham look less delicious!

Reaction score
Other than the pies, I love candied yams with pecans or nuts of any sort. Maybe it is not considered a desert but they are quite decadent and with a pie or two..its more than enough sweets.

Reaction score
I hope my sister does a peach cobbler for this thanksgiving. My mom gave her the recipe and she said she was going to try it and see how she does making it. Me I would like to make a blackberry cobbler. I tasted one once and it was delicious and I would like to make one.

Reaction score
We never have pies because my parents don't like them very much. :( We usually have traditional foods, coming from a South Indian/West Indian background we usually have this thing called Salara. It's a sort of sweet bread twisted around with sweet coconut and food colouring (typically red, but we like it green). It tastes really good and it looks pretty when you cut into it.

Salara3.jpg

Reaction score
Me too. All this food makes want to go home and start baking. I can't wait until thanksgiving. We are going to have some really good food this year I know it.

Reaction score
Persimmons sounds good! I haven't one in so long.... What is flan made of again? For thanksgiving I usually go for the standard pies just because they're so good.
I've never actually made it but I've seen my mom make it a ton of times growing up. It's very custard like and she makes it the tres leches way meaning she uses three different types of milk (evaporated, condensed and... cream? lol not really sure) plus eggs and sugar and cinnamon and the outside is a caramel type coating.

Reaction score
We are kind of boring I guess! We always have either pumpkin or apple pies! But I'm not complaining as I love pumpkin pie heated with a little whipped topping. Yum! I can't wait!
This isn't a dessert but a couple of years ago I started making a cranberry dish with mandarin oranges and it is soooo good! :) it isn't tart cuz I like sweet things - but it also isn't too sweet! :)

Reaction score
Other than the pies, I love candied yams with pecans or nuts of any sort. Maybe it is not considered a desert but they are quite decadent and with a pie or two..its more than enough sweets.
I have seen the yams with marshmallows or nuts but never tried the nuts. I don't think my family would like it and don't want it to go to waste. I would love to try the nuts though. I have mastered the yams now that I am older and can't believe I used to buy the canned yams, LOL. I guess this IS a sweet addition that is not dessert, of Thanksgiving dinner and I always make them.

Reaction score
I am going to make some personal apple pies with Honey-crisp apples. Have you ever had this sweet and tart Minnesota made apple? It is the best!! I think it will be better that granny smiths this year for the pies. Wow, after posting in this thread, I will have a good dessert selection this year, let me get my list together now.

Reaction score
Pumpkin pie for sure! Just not Thanksgiving without it :) My husband loves to make homemade ice cream, so we may throw some of that in there too this year :)

Ask a Question