Thanksgiving Turkey

Reaction score
I wasn't sure where to post this so I just went ahead and put it here. I am a new mom so this will be my first thanksgiving ever cooking for my own family and I know nothing about cooking or baking a turkey, so if anyone has recipes or ideas about how to do this I'm gonna need it!

Reaction score
There are many good recipes out there for making a turkey, but here is how I do it:
Make sure you wash your turkey thoroughly on the outside as well as tge inside. Make sure you clean the inside very giod to bske sure you get a lot of the bacteria. Place the turkey into the pan.
Get a turkey pan(you can get one from Wal-Mart), make sure it's the right size for your turkey. Take some butter, margarine, or you can use cooking oil, mix some salt and pepper with it and rub it onto your turkey on the outside and inside.
Get some onion, celery, an apple or orange whichever you prefer and stuff it inside your turkey. Also put some sticks of butter or
margarine in to you turkey as well(this will help keep it juicy and keep it from getting dry).
Place your turkey in the oven and set the temp for 250° if you want to cook it the day before and let it cook all night. If not set the temp. for 400° and let it cook for most of the day. You can use a turkey baster or you can use a spoon to baste your turkey while it is cooking. I usually wait until the turkey is a good golden brown color before I check to see if it's done. I cut a little on the side and check the color of my meat. If there is no pink it's done. That's how I cook my turkey.

Reaction score
The best thing you can do for your turkey is to soak in a in a spiced brine. I always thought his step was just over blown hype and thought there was no need for an extra step in cooking. Then I tried brineing my turkey last year , the flavor was amazing and the turkey remained tender and juicy. Go to You Tube and search "Divas can cook" she has a couple of great turkey recipes.

Reaction score
I never tried brining a turkey. I will have to check out how to do.that and try it out. I like trying new cooking methods. Especially if I get good results.

Reaction score
Annette gives a great traditional turkey recipe. Also notice and follow her tips on cleaning the bird and being careful throughout the cooking, baking and also when it comes to storage of leftovers.

I need to try NThomas' suggestion and will check out the video's as well. Good luck on your first and I am sure it will turn out just fine!

Reaction score
I have never brined a turkey either.

We fry our turkey in a turkey fryer. It comes out so moist and delicious, and takes much less time than baking one!

Reaction score
Hope your turkey baking goes well! Lots of great suggestions! We've done the brine and the turkey fryer (been so long since the turkey fryer I can't remember how it turned out!). I have also done the turkeys that come with the roasting bags and I would swear by them! They then baste themselves and all the juices stay inside and keep the turkey moist and delicious!! Pretty straightforward - the turkey would have info on it that says it comes with a roasting bag. That is always an option.
Also, I think the little button that pops up when they are done is great! Especially for a first time cook. But, probably not a bad idea to check the internal temp too to make sure you don't under cook!
Let us know how it goes! I realize it is a while off yet..................LOL

Reaction score
I know a lot of people who are making their first Turkeys this year. I gave my recipe to a friend and I wish you and her luck. I know your turkeys will turn out good and I hope you have a good experience with cooking your turkey.

Ask a Question