Cast Iron Skillets: The Perfect Cake Pans

Reaction score
My Gramma taught me this and I was surprised to see it at the Pillsbury recipe site the last time I made pineapple upside down cake. Cast Iron skillets make excellent cake pans and are especially good for pineapple upside down cake. I promise to take a picture of this perfection the next time I bake one!

Reaction score
Hey, that's a great idea! I hadn't thought of baking cakes in a cast iron skillet, but it makes perfect sense. I do bake my cornbread in a cast iron skillet. It heats evenly and makes a nice rustic serving dish. (I pre-heat the skillet before pouring in the corn batter - it makes the edges crispy).

Reaction score
That's interesting to know, I would never have thought to try it!

Reaction score
My grandmother used to say cakes bake much more evenly than thinner metals. I have always had great success so I think she must be right.

Reaction score
Hmm, I have never heard of that before! I would be interested in finding out more!

Reaction score
Hmm, I have never heard of that before! I would be interested in finding out more!
Just get yourself some good well seasoned cast iron skillets. They come in all shapes and sizes. I even use a cast iron pot as my deep fryer.

Reaction score
Oh yes, I learned to make pan fried corn bread in a cast iron pan. I have cast iron pans now, and I think they are wonderful. My grandma make pineapple upside down cake like that also.

Reaction score
Yes, I have used cast iron for years! Pineapple upside down cakes and corn bread as mentioned above are the best. But really anything that needs to have its ingredients caramelized beforehand whether it be sweet or savory, it wonderful in a cast iron skillet. You just have to do your research on how to clean it. I often use salt water to clean mine. I don't know if that is true or not, but that is what I was told and so I have tried not to use anything too abrasive.

Reaction score
I don't have my cast iron skillets any more, but I used to use them all the time for baking, and (as long as you use pot holders) it is great to have a handle on the pans to take them out of the oven, as well as the nice way it cooks. When we used to go camping , I would even make a kind of quick bread on the campfire, using the cast iron skillet, and cook morning biscuits that way, just by turning them over like you would do with a pancake.

Reaction score
I prefer anything that is made by Wilton, the quality of their bakeware is really good. I am scared to use anything that is cast iron because of all the seasoning and prepping you have to do to the pan.

Ask a Question