The best or unusual pizza toppings that you use?

Reaction score
I love pizza, mainly for it's diversity. I usually make them homemade (no frozen for us). I make two whole pizzas each time I make them. The kids are more tame. It is usually cheese or pepperoni for them. I sometimes mix it up. I made a pizza with alfredo sauce, canned chicken, and smashed two cooked tater tots on each piece. Then it is topped with mozzarella. It is a lot better than it sounds. Try it if you are tired of the same old tomato sauce-based pizzas.

Reaction score
I love pizza, I'm not icky at all with mine, but I often like a pizza with a strong and well defined flavor. I like mine with some red onions, meat, lots of cheese, green and red peppers and some spice if possible :) A while ago we ate a pizza with salmon, shrimps and tuna as their main toppings, it was better than I expected!

Reaction score
Canned... chicken? That sounds bad.

My partner and I usually dress our pizzas different ways. I love mine with tons of veggies -- mushrooms, bell peppers, onions, even some eggplant slices if possible, and then with whatever meat I have. Often chunks of salami, but I can go for cooked chicken/sausage/ground meat. I like mozzarella the best (the one that comes in it's liquid!), it melts so perfectly, but I also like to put blue cheese, goat cheese or brie cheese if I have it. My pizzas get stocked up with toppings!

My boyfriend usually likes to have a bit of veggies, different kind of meats (salami, ham, anchovies and sometimes even bacon for fat, though he picks the bacon off).

Bolognese sauce is also a favorite for the basic sauce to put on. Yumm!

Reaction score
My favorite toppings are feta and artichokes. I really love the veggie Mediterranean pizza they had at Papa Murpheys. I've actually never made a pizza from scratch at home, but now that I'm gluten free, that might be something I end up doing in the future.

Reaction score
Buffalo chicken pizza is on of my favorites. I also like to use maple sauage on my pizza instead of the regular itialian. This combination give the pizza a salty sweet flavor , throw in some sweet and spciy peppers and you have a treat for you taste buds.

Reaction score

My partner and I usually dress our pizzas different ways. I love mine with tons of veggies -- mushrooms, bell peppers, onions, even some eggplant slices if possible, and then with whatever meat I have. Often chunks of salami, but I can go for cooked chicken/sausage/ground meat. I like mozzarella the best (the one that comes in it's liquid!), it melts so perfectly, but I also like to put blue cheese, goat cheese or brie cheese if I have it. My pizzas get stocked up with toppings!

My boyfriend usually likes to have a bit of veggies, different kind of meats (salami, ham, anchovies and sometimes even bacon for fat, though he picks the bacon off).

Yummy! I love having plenty of veggies in my pizzas! Specially the mix of meat, onion and green and red peppers! That mix is just glorious! I still can't get how some people out there rather order pizza or buy the frozen ones instead of making their own. I heard those pizzas on't even have real cheese on them... just some processed junk.

Reaction score
Buffalo chicken pizza is on of my favorites. I also like to use maple sauage on my pizza instead of the regular itialian. This combination give the pizza a salty sweet flavor , throw in some sweet and spciy peppers and you have a treat for you taste buds.

Thanks for the idea!!!! When you mean spicy jalapeños you mean something between the lines of... jalapeños? If so... yummy!!!! I will definitely give this a try, I'm always looking for interesting topping combinations! We are growing tired of the usual pepperoni or ham toppings!

Reaction score
I don't think you can really have any unusual toppings these days. People do think having a fried/baked egg strange, but it's not and some think having corn on a pizza is strange in the US whereas in the UK it's standard.

Reaction score
Yummy! I love having plenty of veggies in my pizzas! Specially the mix of meat, onion and green and red peppers! That mix is just glorious! I still can't get how some people out there rather order pizza or buy the frozen ones instead of making their own. I heard those pizzas on't even have real cheese on them... just some processed junk.

To be honest, we buy frozen pizzas a lot, and then we add our toppings to it before baking it. It's just a way of being faster and cheaper, I guess, and even though it's not "homemade dough" awesome, it's still pretty tasty in the end! (Especially with how much topppings I stack up on it!)

Reaction score
I can remember my wife ordering a chilidog pizza once. It was horrid. It had pieces of hotdog, canned chili and pickles (I hate hot pickles). For the person who said canned chicken is bad on pizza, not it really isn't. It works better, because it is so soft. Using freshly cooked chicken is extra work and in my opinion too hard to use on pizza. Any BBQ chicken pizza you are going to get in a chain pizza joint is most likely canned chicken.

Reaction score
I think the worst would be the taco pizzas that are popular right now, they just look gross to me. The best unusual topped pizza I have tried was an apple, bacon, spinach pizza with feta cheese on top. The sweet and salty worked well together and it was a thin crust pizza so there was not a bread overload.

Reaction score
I can remember my wife ordering a chilidog pizza once. It was horrid. It had pieces of hotdog, canned chili and pickles (I hate hot pickles). For the person who said canned chicken is bad on pizza, not it really isn't. It works better, because it is so soft. Using freshly cooked chicken is extra work and in my opinion too hard to use on pizza. Any BBQ chicken pizza you are going to get in a chain pizza joint is most likely canned chicken.

Oh, you know, I would actually argue that canned chicken is gross in general. In any case, not something I would ever want to buy, ever ever. And I usually only use cooked chicken when it's some leftover chicken. WIth the sauce and cheese and the insane amount of veggies, it does not really feel dry at all. And I hate dry chicken, so I'd be picky. But canned chicken... I'm a bit of a snob, I guess. The only canned ingredients I'd usually go for are pineapples, red beans and sweet corn or pea. Not much else.

Reaction score
Wow! Never have thought of making pizza from scratch. Have always bought the frozen ones and sort of customized it to my liking. Lots of cheese, pineapple, red onion, mushroom, and ham have always been my favourites..well not exactly all in one pizza but at times yes.Someone please tell me how to make the pizza dough? I like a thick but firm dough. This should be my Wednesday night activity, totally looking forward.

Reaction score
Please note I have written the above assuming you can make one from scratch using an oven. Please let me know?

Reaction score
To be honest, we buy frozen pizzas a lot, and then we add our toppings to it before baking it. It's just a way of being faster and cheaper, I guess, and even though it's not "homemade dough" awesome, it's still pretty tasty in the end! (Especially with how much topppings I stack up on it!)

That works as well :) Specially if you are in a hurry, I'd do that as well if I hadn't any frozen dough left. I prepare my dough, freeze some extra dough balls, then the day I know I'll be making pizza I just take one out of the freezer, by the time I come back home is ready. All I need to do then if flat it out ;) I just can't trust the commercial doughs and ''cheese''.

Reaction score
That works as well :) Specially if you are in a hurry, I'd do that as well if I hadn't any frozen dough left. I prepare my dough, freeze some extra dough balls, then the day I know I'll be making pizza I just take one out of the freezer, by the time I come back home is ready. All I need to do then if flat it out ;) I just can't trust the commercial doughs and ''cheese''.

That sounds good! To be fair, the cheese looks not too cheesy, sure... But there is actually so little of it! XD Greedy companies and all. So, since it's definitely a minor ingredient, I don't mind it too much.

Please note I have written the above assuming you can make one from scratch using an oven. Please let me know?

Well... of course you use an oven? And, you know. Whatever you put your pizza on -- many times, the aluminium plate coming under a store bought pizza will do.

Reaction score
Wild Orchid, you almost sound like you are being sarcastic. I rarely eat frozen pizzas. If a person doesn't want to spend a lot of time making a pizza from scratch, you can buy the ready-to-use pizza crusts. It only takes nine minutes to cook, with a heated oven. I find these crusts to be better than almost anything besides maybe restaurant crusts.

Reaction score
That sounds good! To be fair, the cheese looks not too cheesy, sure... But there is actually so little of it! XD Greedy companies and all. So, since it's definitely a minor ingredient, I don't mind it too much.

Well... of course you use an oven? And, you know. Whatever you put your pizza on -- many times, the aluminium plate coming under a store bought pizza will do.

Hahahah, yeah, I have noticed :p By the way, did you know that most companies don't really put cheese on their pizzas? They put a highly processed mess instead of actual cheese, even folks like Domino's! Now that explains a lot. I used to love to eat their pizza, by the way.

Reaction score

It's nice to see that someone else besides me enjoys an occasional anchovy on their pizza. Anchovies get a bad rap but I like their fatty saltiness.
It's rare to find pizza places in Miami that still use them so I have to add my own if I'm craving them.

Ask a Question