The box "takes the cake"

Reaction score
So I recently made some muffins that only required water or milk. I went with water and my husband loved them. He went on about how moist and nice they were. It's not the first time he has been very positive about box or cake mixes. I get the impression they are enjoyed more than my from scratch creations. Do you get that same response? I am not sure how to feel about it.

Reaction score
Well, the thing about "boxed" desserts/breads is that they are premeasured to exactness, and enhanced with flavorings and additional things to make them come out "fluffy" and extra tasty.

If someone doesn't have that particular gift with "from scratch" recipes, then most people do prefer the boxed versions.

I've learned over the years, that there are certain things you ALWAYS do to make "from scratch" better than anything from a box. For me, it was all trial and error, and logical thinking on what works best with this or that.

One of the basic "enhancements" I put in pretty much ALL of my desserts of any kind, is vanilla.
Especially if it doesn't call for it. Vanilla will "boost" the flavor of pretty much anything.....from fruits to mints to chocolates and beyond... Heck, I even put it in my specialty breads! (sssshhhhh!!!! Thats one of my super duper secrets...so don't tell anybody!!)

;);););););););)
835C7594F2C238D2692B74EAFF322A8C7C71CBC0

Reaction score
I find this sometimes too - from scratch is always more finicky than a box mix - if all you have to add is a cup of liquid it's hard to mess up. From scratch requires so many more elements, and a little bit of variation here and there can really make big changes to the taste and texture of things.

Honestly...I've baked with box mix SO many times and then just made my own from scratch frosting - when I'm in a pinch and need 100% failsafes I usually go with box mix because there's less room for error.

Reaction score
You are a treat @ChesterV. @cupcakechef when I first joined the forum I was feeling a bit intimidated as I was most baking from the box. I was so surprised and relieved that others were doing it. That way I was put at ease but was determined to make more things from scratch. I do have some success stories but the box or mixes always get the best reviews. I've made carrot cake from scratch that was a real disaster and carrot cake from a box that was a gem.

Ask a Question