The Business Part Of Baking!

Reaction score
Hey all! I started baking 5 years ago as a hobby, just baking and selling with no plan or structure, but I am ready to take it to the next level with transforming it into an actual business!

Of course I have been searching through content online, but I would also lovee if the upcoming and established bakers here could help me out as well, with tips, challenges, advice, struggles and hardships, motivations, a simple or effective way to start , etc etc, whatever you feel will help me out!

Thank you all in advance!!!
Bree :)

Reaction score
Hobby baking and commercial baking are two different animals. If you’re baking with cups and teaspoons you’ll never make it as a business.

if you don’t know Baker’s percentages and if you’re not using them you’ll never make it as a business.

If you don’t know DDT and you’re not using it you’ll never make it as a business.

metric weight, bakers percentage is in a DDT is the only way to ensure consistent quality in production and to scale your production

if you don’t know what water activity level is you’ll never make it as a business.

If you don’t know basic food safety hygiene and handling you’ll never make it as a business.

If you’re thinking of starting a business from your home kitchen and you haven’t thoroughly researched cottage food laws in your state you’re not going to make it as a business.

Water activity level is used by the federal government, state and local health departments To determine what a home based business can or cannot produce for sale In home kitchen. Business licensing requires food safety certification in most states. Cottage food law in most states requires among other things adherence to federal food labeling laws.

Reaction score
Hey all! I started baking 5 years ago as a hobby, just baking and selling with no plan or structure, but I am ready to take it to the next level with transforming it into an actual business!

Of course I have been searching through content online, but I would also lovee if the upcoming and established bakers here could help me out as well, with tips, challenges, advice, struggles and hardships, motivations, a simple or effective way to start , etc etc, whatever you feel will help me out!

Thank you all in advance!!!
Bree :)

The next level is start at the beginning.
You would learn more washing dishes in a week in a bakery than the past 5 years,
the problem is you don't even know what you don't know.

Reaction score
Hobby baking and commercial baking are two different animals. If you’re baking with cups and teaspoons you’ll never make it as a business.

if you don’t know Baker’s percentages and if you’re not using them you’ll never make it as a business.

If you don’t know DDT and you’re not using it you’ll never make it as a business.

metric weight, bakers percentage is in a DDT is the only way to ensure consistent quality in production and to scale your production

if you don’t know what water activity level is you’ll never make it as a business.

If you don’t know basic food safety hygiene and handling you’ll never make it as a business.

If you’re thinking of starting a business from your home kitchen and you haven’t thoroughly researched cottage food laws in your state you’re not going to make it as a business.

Water activity level is used by the federal government, state and local health departments To determine what a home based business can or cannot produce for sale In home kitchen. Business licensing requires food safety certification in most states. Cottage food law in most states requires among other things adherence to federal food labeling laws.
I wouldn't discourage anyone from following a dream. I knew nothing about being a freelance artist... not one thing, but I made it a successful business. I knew nothing about cake decorating and was self-taught and made that into a business. And I did both for many, many years. My brother knew nothing about how to start or run a business and now he's opened two of them. I used to work for AOL many years ago, teaching people how to start and run a business. People learn. Trial and error. I just never say never. Think positively... it's the stuff dreams are made of.

Reaction score
I wouldn't discourage anyone from following a dream. I knew nothing about being a freelance artist... not one thing, but I made it a successful business. I knew nothing about cake decorating and was self-taught and made that into a business. And I did both for many, many years. My brother knew nothing about how to start or run a business and now he's opened two of them. I used to work for AOL many years ago, teaching people how to start and run a business. People learn. Trial and error. I just never say never. Think positively... it's the stuff dreams are made of.
I could write a book with the stories I know of people who thought they could just start a bakery because it looked easy.
They lost fortunes, some lost millions, the more they started with the more they threw at it and they always lost.
Cake decorating is only remotely connected with a bakery, they both use flour and sugar but you wouldn't last 10 minutes in a real bakery because cake decorators are not bakers, most bakers don't decorate too well either, so.

Reaction score
I could write a book with the stories I know of people who thought they could just start a bakery because it looked easy.
They lost fortunes, some lost millions, the more they started with the more they threw at it and they always lost.
Cake decorating is only remotely connected with a bakery, they both use flour and sugar but you wouldn't last 10 minutes in a real bakery because cake decorators are not bakers, most bakers don't decorate too well either, so.

How do you know what I would last in and what I wouldn't? That's really very judgemental. Some people are stupid and don't know when to quit, but if no one ever follows a dream, no one would ever know if that dream would succeed. Write your book, but for every story you write to discourage someone, I could write a book about those who succeeded. I don't choose to rain on people's parades... I choose to encourage people to go for their dreams but be smart about it, research the hell out of it, weigh the pros and cons, be very sure you have the knowledge and ability to do what you're trying to do and if you're not making a go of it, be realistic with yourself and know when to throw in the cards and reinvent yourself.

As far as bakers and decorators... some people actually have the ability to do both.

Ask a Question