"The Double-Dare You Hot Chickpea Brownies"

Reaction score
I found this recipe a while back on the Hairpin and have been too nervous to try it out. Any adventurous types out there want to give it a shot, or have tried something similar? I love chickpeas, but in a dessert?

Ingredients
2 cups chickpeas
1 ½ cups chocolate chips, preferably semisweet or dark, divided
3 tbsp olive oil
4 eggs
½ tbsp vanilla extract
¾ cup raw sugar
2 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
½ tsp cayenne
½ tsp ground ginger
½ tsp cinnamon

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9x9 brownie pan with parchment paper and spray the paper with more olive oil.

2. Measure out your chickpeas and then dry them off on a few layers of paper towels.

3. Puree the chickpeas in a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Scrape down the edges and puree until completely smooth.

4. Melt ¾ of the chocolate chips with the olive oil. Add to chickpeas, and blend until well mixed.

5. Add eggs, vanilla and sugar and blend. Add the cocoa and spices and blend some more.

6. Pour brownie batter into a bowl, mix in the remaining cup of chocolate chips.

7. Pour mixture into the prepared pan and bake for about 25 minutes.

Reaction score
Chickpeas? This is something new to add to a cake! I don't know about that lol... yet chickpeas have a pretty neutral flavor so maybe it wouldn't be to much of an issue

Reaction score
I've also heard of people using things like black beans or avocado in desserts. I can't get my head around it but maybe there's something to it! Plus those are pretty healthy things to eat. But yeah, I'm really not sure how the chickpeas would affect texture.

Reaction score
I can't even imagine this recipe. Granted I love LOVE LOVE Hummus, but I cant even imagine them in brownies. This means only one thing...I am adventurous and will try the recipe.

Reaction score
Well, I have to say it's definitely original! Not something I would have thought of. I'd be up for trying these, but I'd probably be eating them alone because no one else in my house likes chickpeas at all! Still, I'm interested xD.

Reaction score
We tried a chickpea chocolate chip cookie dough recipe once and let our boys try it without telling then what was in it. They loved it! knowing what was in it though, I wasn't brave enough lol.

Thanks for the recipe!

Reaction score
I've also heard of people using things like black beans or avocado in desserts. I can't get my head around it but maybe there's something to it! Plus those are pretty healthy things to eat. But yeah, I'm really not sure how the chickpeas would affect texture.

I was sceptical at first too, but the way I eat now I have no choice but to be creative and trust that real foods can do amazing things. Avocado turned out to be really versatile. My go to pudding recipe is made with avocado.. I never thought I'd have that sort of "creamy" ever again, but there it is, in a really weird recipe lol. Love it :)

Reaction score
I a recipe like this before and was told that it taste really good. It looks like the chickpeas replaces the flour in the recipe which I find really cool. My mom wants to try out different recipes all the time. I'm gonna email her this and see if she would try making it!

Ask a Question