The English take their sweets seriously lol.

Reaction score
Haha yep it's a big deal here in the UK! Traditionally, in Cornwall they put jam on first and then clotted cream, but in Devon (the neighbouring County) they put cream first then jam.

If you've never had clotted cream before, you should know it is very thick and sticky. Personally I have tried cream tea both ways and find it easier to spread jam on clotted cream than vice versa :D

Reaction score
Haha yep it's a big deal here in the UK! Traditionally, in Cornwall they put jam on first and then clotted cream, but in Devon (the neighbouring County) they put cream first then jam.

If you've never had clotted cream before, you should know it is very thick and sticky. Personally I have tried cream tea both ways and find it easier to spread jam on clotted cream than vice versa :D

That's interesting! I have had clotted cream when I visited a friend in London, and it was SO FREAKING GOOD. Such decadence! I love English tea snacks. Actually, I just love English desserts lol.

When I looked at the photos from the article, the closest treat I could think of was bagel with cream cheese and jam. It's just easier to put the cream cheese on first and then spread the jam on top. So, I agree with your approach! :)

Reaction score
Glad to hear that the cream first approach makes sense to you too! I think the only downside is that it doesn't look as pretty as cream on top of jam... but I can live with that :)

Reaction score
I absolutely love these food debates. Food is so much more than nourishment. It really truly gives us our cultural identity. Gives us our marker in this vast world. Connects us to our families and our communities. :)

Reaction score
I absolutely love these food debates. Food is so much more than nourishment. It really truly gives us our cultural identity. Gives us our marker in this vast world. Connects us to our families and our communities. :)
I absolutely agree. Food is wildly important to me. I think about it all the time (not just being hungry lol). It’s so interesting to me being in Russia and observing food culture here. Russians never experienced the foodie revolution like we did in the States. You can see the marks of Soviet times in the food here everywhere. I just posted pics of Russian doughnuts in another thread which are a famous Soviet treat, and to me is so emblatic of the times. Not much attention is paid to the elegance or presentation of things. Just serviceable and tasty lol.

Reaction score
Over the years I’ve come to really appreciate the vast array of foods available to me. I’ve always enjoyed cooking and eating out. Given the region is home to people from the international community, eating out is an adventure.

I love to cook, bake, and entertain friends. When I think back on it I was the one in my family that did most of the cooking during the holidays. Cooking and baking doesn’t feel like work to me. I enjoy it it’s a hobby.

I’ll have to look up your Russian donuts:)

Reaction score
I absolutely agree. Food is wildly important to me. I think about it all the time (not just being hungry lol). It’s so interesting to me being in Russia and observing food culture here. Russians never experienced the foodie revolution like we did in the States. You can see the marks of Soviet times in the food here everywhere. I just posted pics of Russian doughnuts in another thread which are a famous Soviet treat, and to me is so emblatic of the times. Not much attention is paid to the elegance or presentation of things. Just serviceable and tasty lol.

Where are the doughnut pics?

Reaction score
Where are the doughnut pics?
That is a good question! I posted pics and the recipe I used yesterday in the "Pastry" section of this forum. For some reason, my thread is showing that it requires Mod approval before posting to the public. I have no idea why...

@Ian, can you please help with this?

Reaction score
Over the years I’ve come to really appreciate the vast array of foods available to me. I’ve always enjoyed cooking and eating out. Given the region is home to people from the international community, eating out is an adventure.

I love to cook, bake, and entertain friends. When I think back on it I was the one in my family that did most of the cooking during the holidays. Cooking and baking doesn’t feel like work to me. I enjoy it it’s a hobby.

I’ll have to look up your Russian donuts:)
I grabbed my recipe from a YouTube video. Here is the link, if you're interested!

Reaction score
That is a good question! I posted pics and the recipe I used yesterday in the "Pastry" section of this forum. For some reason, my thread is showing that it requires Mod approval before posting to the public. I have no idea why...

@Ian, can you please help with this?

Apologies @Teeth Brusher I have approved it now. I think the problem is to do with the fact that you posted a Russian word, so we'll change the parameters so that a small number of Russian characters is ok. Sorry for any inconvenience!

Ask a Question