The Great British Bake Off

Reaction score
Has any tuned into this show yet? It’s on BBC 2 on a Tuesday night and is hosted by Mary Berry and Paul Hollywood. 13 contestants have to bake their showstopper plus other challenges that Mary and Paul set them. They are then judged on their baking and then people are eliminated if they don’t hit all three tasks. I love watching it as I like to see what people can make in such a short space of time and sometime not on a brief that is full of instructions. Last night they had to make an Angel Food Cake and although they were given basic instructions and ingredients, things like not to grease the tin were eliminated from the brief so the Bakers had to use their loaf!

Reaction score
The US version just finished up last month and we made sure to watch it every evening that it came on. It was rather entertaining to say the least. The exact person I thought that was going to be eliminated right away (he lied to the judges and did not put out some pasteries that he had made because they looked bad) ended up winning the thing. I was a bit miffed at that. Are you enjoying watching the UK version?

Reaction score
I missed the first episode so I'm looking forward to catching up! I love GBBO, it's fantastic - although not so good on my waistline! ;)

Reaction score
The US version just finished up last month and we made sure to watch it every evening that it came on. It was rather entertaining to say the least. The exact person I thought that was going to be eliminated right away (he lied to the judges and did not put out some pasteries that he had made because they looked bad) ended up winning the thing. I was a bit miffed at that. Are you enjoying watching the UK version?

Im loving it. I only saw half of the first series so it's nice to watch the new series from the start. Who is hosting the US version of the Show?

Reaction score
I haven't watched the British version but sometimes people upload them to Youtube, so I'll have to see if I can find it online. I wasn't too thrilled with the outcome of the American version.

Reaction score
I watched the first episode last night, it certainly seems like it's going to be an interesting series! The right person definitely went - can't believe he managed to make a cake using salt!! How does that even happen? Even if ingredients were put into containers without labels, you would think the first think you would do would be to taste it to make sure you have the right thing. He seemed quite scatty though!

I think my favourite baker so far is the lady who did the squirrel cake, although I like the rocket scientist guy too :)

Reaction score
Im loving it. I only saw half of the first series so it's nice to watch the new series from the start. Who is hosting the US version of the Show?

The ever crazy Jeff Foxworthy is the host but that sexy Paul Hollywood is one of the judges! That man is so sexy and I love his accent! The other judge is chef Marcela Valladolid.

Reaction score
I love watching GBBO, although I get serious equipment envy!

I can't really comment on the salt incident, when at my grandma's once, I was convinced that the sugar was in a particular container - I really did not enjoy the salty cup of tea I landed up with :(

The squirrel cake was so tongue in cheek, absolutely fantastic part of the show.

Reaction score
I think my favourite baker so far is the lady who did the squirrel cake, although I like the rocket scientist guy too :)

Frances? She's also my favourite! I loved her "jam sandwich" cake as well. Like you, I also like Rob, the rocket scientist.

This is actually the first series I've watched, which surprises me given that I enjoy both baking and cookery-based reality shows. I have to say, it left me really wanting to make an angel food cake - I even had a dream about it that night!

Reaction score
It's on tonight ladies! BBC 2 8pm. Im looking forward to watching this weeks. I don't know how the contestants cope with the pressure. I have to refere to books all the time for recipes so how they can remember them is beyond me.

Reaction score
Well, that was another good episode last night. :D I was really impressed with Ruby's improvement - I didn't much like her last week, but I am really warming to her now. Her breadsticks looked lovely! I think the right person went though - she was far too stubborn. If multiple professional bakers were trying to give me advice on how to make my baking stand more of a chance in the competition, I would take it!

Now...I think I shall experiment with making a new type of bread today, inspired by last night. I'm thinking some kind of garlic and tomato plait...

Reaction score
Some of the recipes were AMAZING. Who would have thought of Orange and Coriander in a plait? That was prett amazing. I loved the breadsticks as matches as well and her ability to make the matchbox was pretty cool as well.

Reaction score
I was sorry to see Lucy go because she did pretty well last week. I was hoping that Kimberly would have won star baker - she seems like a really instinctive baker - but I was pleased that Ruby got it as she did really well too.

Anyone else been craving English Muffins?! I've never made them before but think I'm going to have to give it a go, I adore them :D

Reaction score
I have never made English Muffins. I find them a bit bland, I did have a craving for trifle today. Some of those trifles last night were scrumptious, I might have a go at making one at the weekend.
I have also wanted to try making macaroons as well. Another yummy thing I haven't tasted.

Reaction score
I've made macarons a couple of times before, they are a bit tricky but worth the effort! I moved house last year and haven't dared make them with my new oven - it is really hot and I'm still getting used to it!

I got Paul Hollywood's Bread recipe book this week, there are some tasty sounding recipes that I can't wait to have a go at! Cheese and bacon scones anyone?! :D

Reaction score
I've made macarons a couple of times before, they are a bit tricky but worth the effort! I moved house last year and haven't dared make them with my new oven - it is really hot and I'm still getting used to it!

I got Paul Hollywood's Bread recipe book this week, there are some tasty sounding recipes that I can't wait to have a go at! Cheese and bacon scones anyone?! :D

Yes please I will be over soon. I should invest in some more good cookery books. I do tend to use websites more these days though

Reaction score

I keep meaning to get some of his books. I love making bread so that might be starting point for me! He's also got another one - I think it's simply called "Baking" or something like that - which I had a read of at my friend's last week. It also had some delicious looking recipes in it. :)

Reaction score
I haven't watched the British or the American version of this show as yet. Well, I guess I have to do that on Youtube when I get the chance too. It sounds like a very interesting show, and I love cook-offs. My favorite televised cook off is the Iron Chef Series (both the American and the Japanese versions), but I must confess that I love the Japanese version a little better because the Japanese chefs seem to be more skilled than the American Iron chefs, and they can cook multiple courses (up to 7) in one hour.

Reaction score
Anybody catch last night's episode? I'm really rooting for Kimberly, I think she's brilliant! Paul seemed seriously impressed with her, it's a shame that her recipe for the fruit pie isn't online. I imagine they are saving it for the book! (Cynical? Moi?!)

Here's a link to a selection of the recipe from all GBBO series:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/programmes/b013pqnm

Ask a Question