The texture of cake

Reaction score
I love the texture you get these days from cake mixes, but I won't use mixes anymore as I am eating strictly organic, non GMO foods. That rules out the cake mixes, or using a package of pudding in a cake recipe (that's what we did to get the moist cake before the supermoist cake mixes came out)

Does anyone have a tips to make a homemade cake that is really moist?

Reaction score
Add applesauce instead of oil. Applesauce makes cake really moist. Most people will tell you to do a direct substitution, like if the recipe calls for 1/2 cup oil, then add 1/2 cup applesauce, but I like to add just a touch more of the applesauce for a more moist cake. Eggs also matter in the moisture and density texture of your cake. The more eggs that your recipe calls for, the more dense your cake will be, so you can also experiment with adding less egg.

Reaction score
Thanks, Tina, I use applesauce in brownies all the time and like that so will try it the next time I bake a cake. All I have to do is get some more organic applesauce. SOMETIMES they have it in the store here, other times, no.

An organic store is being build 1/2 mile from me but it wont be opening until mid-summer.

I wonder if using an extra egg yolk would help. Something to try!

Ask a Question