The Ultimate Dark Chocolate Cake

Reaction score
I found this recipe about 2 years ago on the internet, and ever since I have been making this cake and even as cupcakes. Everyone LOVES my chocolate cake (will, it's not my recipe) and I'm kind of famous for it now (and for my cheesecake)

You need:
1 3/4 cups of flour
3/4 unsweetened
2 cups of sugar
2 tablespoons backing powder
1 teaspoon salt (I only add 1/4 teaspoon, and sometimes I skip salt and backing soda)
2 teaspoon backing soda (double the amount of salt)
2 eggs
1 cup strong brewed coffee (use a really good coffee. I changed the type of coffee once and it does really make a difference)
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup oil
Vanilla extract

I prefer having it with vanilla ice-cream and chocolate frosting
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/v-gRaHxlKsQ?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Reaction score
A few days ago I made a chocolate cake that turned out very chocolatey and moist.

There are a few ways to make chocolate cake and you can leave out the coffee if you want. The only thing I had in my chocolate cake was the organic cocoa powder. It was simple but very delicious!.

Reaction score
Sounds delicious! I've done something very similar before, the coffee really does add an amazing richness to the flavour :)

Reaction score
I found this recipe about 2 years ago on the internet, and ever since I have been making this cake and even as cupcakes. Everyone LOVES my chocolate cake (will, it's not my recipe) and I'm kind of famous for it now (and for my cheesecake)

You need:
1 3/4 cups of flour
3/4 unsweetened
2 cups of sugar
2 tablespoons backing powder
1 teaspoon salt (I only add 1/4 teaspoon, and sometimes I skip salt and backing soda)
2 teaspoon backing soda (double the amount of salt)
2 eggs
1 cup strong brewed coffee (use a really good coffee. I changed the type of coffee once and it does really make a difference)
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup oil
Vanilla extract

I prefer having it with vanilla ice-cream and chocolate frosting
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/v-gRaHxlKsQ?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dark chocolate is my favorite of chocolates.

However, I do not see chocolate anywhere on the recipe just coffee. Am I missing something on this recipe?

Reaction score
Dark chocolate is my favorite of chocolates.

However, I do not see chocolate anywhere on the recipe just coffee. Am I missing something on this recipe?

I'm guessing that "3/4 unsweetened" should have been followed by "cocoa powder"

Reaction score
This sounds very similar to my grandmothers dark chocolate cupcake recipe. She too uses buttermilk in it, which gives it a wonderful tangy flavor in addition to the creaminess. She also uses plain soda water in it too which I guess gives it some lightness and body. I personally love the addition of coffee into the cake, even though it's not traditional. 9 out of 10 times we are serving it with coffee anyhow so it's a perfect addition.

Reaction score
I love dark chocolate, so it's my duty try this cake out!

Agree with the addition of coffee to make enrich the flavor of chocolate cakes.

Reaction score
I actually tried to cake recipe out a few days ago. It turned out pretty much perfect and you can't even taste the coffee. The cake taste simple great and I think I fell in love all over again with chocolate.

Reaction score
I 've baked chocolate cake without coffee. For this cake you should pour very hot ( boiling ) water.
Cake is soft, not dry and delicious. I didn't try your recipe. So, I can't compare

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 488
Reaction score
My recipe is different. And I'd like to bake a chocolate cake by using your new recipe.
In an another recipe you don't use buttermilk, coffee. Instead on these, you use milk, boiled water.
But I think, the consistency is equal.
It's really a delicious cake and I like, that you have only to mix all ingridients, put it into the oven, wait for 40 min, ( that you can spend for another things) and it rises.

Reaction score
I love to try new recipes and my boys loooooove chocolate cake. I am definitely going to try your recipe and see how it measures up against the two I currently have. I may be able to use it as a base in my Mississippi Mud Slide cake if it is really good. I love rich, decadent chocolate cakes.

Reaction score
Ah, there it is. Just as perfect as it sounds.

Thank you Becky for pointing that out.

I read the recipe a couple of times and my eyes did not catch that.
Same here, I thought we'd be making coffee cake haha, but it's a great recipe! Thanks for sharing!

Reaction score
I love chocolate cake, the darker the better. I've never added coffee before and as I am not too crazy about coffee I'm a little afraid to attempt this. Nevertheless, if I don't eat it my daughter and her friends will. They're coffee addicts! :) I think I'd like to add a kahlua flavored drink in place of the coffee, but I'm going to try this one first and see how it turns out. Can't wait!

Reaction score
I love chocolate cake, the darker the better. I've never added coffee before and as I am not too crazy about coffee I'm a little afraid to attempt this. Nevertheless, if I don't eat it my daughter and her friends will. They're coffee addicts! :) I think I'd like to add a kahlua flavored drink in place of the coffee, but I'm going to try this one first and see how it turns out. Can't wait!

Definitely give it a try - it doesn't taste like coffee, it just adds to the richness of chocolate flavour!

Reaction score
Definitely give it a try - it doesn't taste like coffee, it just adds to the richness of chocolate flavour!
I just left the grocery store getting the ingredients...I'm baking this for Christmas. Will update on how it turned out. Thanks!!!

Ask a Question