The weirdest thing you've ever eaten

Reaction score
I would be curious to know what the weirdest thing you've ever eaten is!

When I was on vacation in Japan once, I saw a van selling soft cream cones. I thought I was ordering a vanilla cone - pretty basic, right?

I tried it, and it was actually SHIRASU ice cream, which from a distance just looks like vanilla...it's actually whitebait ice cream...fishy ice cream! I was horrified! Just not the flavor I was expecting! I guess that's what happens when you go to a different country and can't read the language...you could be ordering anything!

Would love to hear your crazy food experiences!

Reaction score
Uhm, the weirdest thing I hate eaten? That is tough, because I'm not very daring. Most of the things I have eaten inside and out of my country were pretty tasty or just average. I guess the only thing I could think of right know would be that nasty spicy paste they put next to the sushi rolls. I can't remember its name, I think it's ''wasabe''? Man, that thing is nasty!!!! I had never gotten such a sensation after eating something... had to spit it out, even my nose hurt.

Reaction score
Boiled pig nose, in Bavaria. Was horrible, the spongy fat feel. I have also eaten some things I would normally not eat in Asia (like, chicken feet and pork tripes (intestines?), but it was not as bad as this boiled pig nose (which, I did not eat it complete).

Reaction score
I always blank on these kinds of questions- I'm willing to try most things but I guess I don't include too too much in my definition of "weird" food. I know some people think it's weird to eat squid or alligator...so if either of those qualify lol.

Reaction score
I always blank on these kinds of questions- I'm willing to try most things but I guess I don't include too too much in my definition of "weird" food. I know some people think it's weird to eat squid or alligator...so if either of those qualify lol.

That's a good point, it really does depend on where you're from as to what would constitute a 'weird' food - quite possibly in Japan the weird ice cream I tried is super normal! Also, a good example of that is friends that I have in Australia - they can buy kangaroo meat in the supermarkets there. To me, that's just bizarre, and I just can't at all imagine eating kangaroo - but to them it seems relatively normal!

Reaction score
smoked white salmon and mushroom omelette with a Russian type of feta cheese cubed in it. It didn't really go down well. I'm sure the white salmon would have been excellent, I just wasn't expecting it to have the bones in it and rather a lot of gristle as well.

Reaction score
Someone else mentioned Wasabe paste - they hated it - I LOVE it! Crazy how one person likes something someone else hates. I'm really into spice ...

The weirdest thing for me would have to be pickled pigs feet :( I look back now and can only attribute it to the fact that I was probably 5 years old and everyone else in my family liked them. I, on the other hand, want to gag when I think about it.

Reaction score
The weirdest thing I have eaten was a rubbery rice cake filled with bean paste that I found at an Asian market a few years ago. It looked so pretty and artfully made, but tasted horrible and goey.

Ask a Question