Recommendations for Professional Thermometers

Reaction score
There are so many and none of them are labelled mk4. Really don’t want to end up buying the wrong one again!

I did email to ask where I can find a genuine one in the UK but I’ve just clicked the link of the email that they responded and realised that they have a whole company over here which is great.

I guess the labeling is different in the UK. It looks like they call it a professional there and in the US they call it Mk4.

but all the thermometers are actually made in the UK.

I’m glad they sent you the link and got it straightened out for you

Reaction score
I guess the labeling is different in the UK. It looks like they call it a professional there and in the US they call it Mk4.

but all the thermometers are actually made in the UK.

I’m glad they sent you the link and got it straightened out for you

Oh I found that on the site myself as they initially linked me to the site itself because I don’t think I stated which one I wanted just that I wanted to cancel the order.

Does that one look like the right one to you? I have noooo idea what I’m looking for as as you said they have different names on the U.K. site it seems

Reaction score
There are so many and none of them are labelled mk4. Really don’t want to end up buying the wrong one again!

I did email to ask where I can find a genuine one in the UK but I’ve just clicked the link of the email that they responded and realised that they have a whole company over here which is great.

I just clicked on that link you posted I don’t know where you got it from, but only purchase from whatever link they sent you.

insofar as the models, it looks like in the US what they call Mk4 is a Professional in the UK. Look at the description of the MK4 on the US website. Then compare it to the Professional. You’ll see say are essentially the same.

But the link she sent you is the link you need to use to purchase in the UK.

Carston, the Customer Service Rep I’ve been in contact with actually responded to my emails about you this morning as well. I told him to disregard that you got it all resolved. He said yeah he was also going to refer you over to the UK site as well to save on international shipping. So all is well I think.

Reaction score
I just clicked on that link you posted I don’t know where you got it from, but only purchase from whatever link they sent you.

insofar as the models, it looks like in the US what they call Mk4 is a Professional in the UK. Look at the description of the MK4 on the US website. Then compare it to the Professional. You’ll see say are essentially the same.

But the link she sent you is the link you need to use to purchase in the UK.

Carston, the Customer Service Rep I’ve been in contact with actually responded to my emails about you this morning as well. I told him to disregard that you got it all resolved. He said yeah he was also going to refer you over to the UK site as well to save on international shipping. So all is well I think.

The gentleman confirmed that this is in fact the mk4.

Anything I need to order from there before I pay? Delivery is free! I’m paying £30 less which is great.

A room thermometer perhaps?

Reaction score
The gentleman confirmed that this is in fact the mk4.

Anything I need to order from there before I pay? Delivery is free! I’m paying £30 less which is great.

A room thermometer perhaps?

You don’t need a room thermometer. Your instant read thermometer will register the temperature in your room the moment it is open.

when I use the oven as a make sift proof box I just put the ChefAlarm probe thermometer in there. And then I set the range for where I want it. If the temperature moves out of range the alarm sounds.

just make sure that it’s not near a heat source to distort the temperature reading.

I just sent the probe on the baking sheet farthest away from the oven light if I have the light on or clip it to the rack

Reaction score
Great thanks!

I’m also going to order the agents to add but I’m awaiting a response on whether or not they’re vegetarian.

Reaction score
The thermapen arrived!!!

Yay!! I think you’ll be happy with it. Don’t forget to sanitize the probe after each use.

They sent me a new pocket thermometer. It’s a pretty nice one too. I decide to give it to my SIL because she is baking a lot now. My brother uses their infrared thermometer for his coffee roasting. She said what can’t I just use that I said, “nope, you need to take internal temperature of things.“.

Reaction score
Yay!! I think you’ll be happy with it. Don’t forget to sanitize the probe after each use.

They sent me a new pocket thermometer. It’s a pretty nice one too. I decide to give it to my SIL because she is baking a lot now. My brother uses their infrared thermometer for his coffee roasting. She said what can’t I just use that I said, “nope, you need to take internal temperature of things.“.

Oooo we’re all on the thermapen hype

I’ll be interested to see what a difference DDT makes! Will keep you updated with the outcome of my first couple of bakes. I use this even for cake batter right?

Thanks a lot!

Reaction score
Curious about DDT for other things, since I've never actually seen it mentioned for anything besides yeasted products. I'm sure it still has an effect, but never see it mentioned in recipes. Is it just because DDT doesn't matter as much when there isn't yeast to worry about, so people usually don't bother tracking it?

Reaction score
Curious about DDT for other things, since I've never actually seen it mentioned for anything besides yeasted products. I'm sure it still has an effect, but never see it mentioned in recipes. Is it just because DDT doesn't matter as much when there isn't yeast to worry about, so people usually don't bother tracking it?

DDT is mostly talked about in relationship to yeast. But it applies to everything, cookie dough, cake batter, muffin batter, etc. If you read Stella Parks article on creaming butter, it’s all about finished temperature of the cookie dough. But creaming of the butter and sugar is also done with batters. The temperature of where the doughs and batters are before the enter the oven determines the finished product because it determines rate of starch gelatinization, how fast the fat melts, protein denaturation, water evaporation, etc, the rate of all these chemical reactions. If your batter or dough is already in the 90’s before it in the oven, it’s going to make a big difference in the bake.

Reaction score
DDT is mostly talked about in relationship to yeast. But it applies to everything, cookie dough, cake batter, muffin batter, etc. If you read Stella Parks article on creaming butter, it’s all about finished temperature of the cookie dough. But creaming of the butter and sugar is also done with batters. The temperature of where the doughs and batters are before the enter the oven determines the finished product because it determines rate of starch gelatinization, how fast the fat melts, protein denaturation, water evaporation, etc, the rate of all these chemical reactions. If your batter or dough is already in the 90’s before it in the oven, it’s going to make a big difference in the bake.

That’s crazy! Never would have known this in a million years. I’ve never heard it from anyone I know who makes cakes. This is valuable information

Reaction score
That’s crazy! Never would have known this in a million years. I’ve never heard it from anyone I know who makes cakes. This is valuable information

Trust me when your creaming butter and sugar to make cake, you want your butter at the correct temperature. Otherwise if the butter is too warm you’re going to have a flat denser cake. So yes you should be checking the temperature of everything you’re making. I think I referred you to Stellas article already on the instructions and full explanation on creaming butter and sugar. It applies to creaming the butter and sugar for cake, not just cookies.

I tell people 65°F (18°C) because that’s the temperature of butter they teach in culinary class. Stella says 60°F (15°C), but to be honest I cream the butter straight out of the refrigerator, and have for 20 yrs. I’m always checking the temperature of things as I finish each step and before I go onto the next step. I’m also always looking at the color and texture because baking is also about experience.

This was an example of me running test batches. Taking butter temperature; finished dough temperature; the cookies from that batch. You can’t run good control tests when developing formula if don’t note things like temperature
364380B0-3062-45CE-BAE0-2424C00A6CEA.jpeg

27C12049-6C96-429E-A28E-E2C83116BDA8.jpeg

A696E0E8-D7B8-4634-8704-F940843FED13.jpeg

Reaction score
Trust me when your creaming butter and sugar to make cake, you want your butter at the correct temperature. Otherwise if the butter is too warm you’re going to have a flat denser cake. So yes you should be checking the temperature of everything you’re making. I think I referred you to Stellas article already on the instructions and full explanation on creaming butter and sugar. It applies to creaming the butter and sugar for cake, not just cookies.

I tell people 65°F (18°C) because that’s the temperature of butter they teach in culinary class. Stella says 60°F (15°C), but to be honest I cream the butter straight out of the refrigerator, and have for 20 yrs. I’m always checking the temperature of things as I finish each step and before I go onto the next step. I’m also always looking at the color and texture because baking is also about experience.

This was an example of me running test batches. Taking butter temperature; finished dough temperature; the cookies from that batch. You can’t run good control tests when developing formula if don’t note things like temperature
View attachment 3201

View attachment 3202

View attachment 3203

Those cookies look yum

One thing that still confuses me is HOW do I get the butter for example to the correct temp? And if I miss DDT is the batter ruined?

The butter I guess I can heat or cook but what happens if the batter is wrong. I’m assuming that if you work out what each temp should be individually then it’s difficult to miss the correct temp in final product

Reaction score
That's exactly what I thought. I wish recipe writers would mention the optimal dough or batter temperatures more often though. I get that it probably matters most when there's yeast involved, but it's always nice to have that extra layer of security knowing you're controlling for another variable in the baking process. Even if ingredient temperatures are given (which they often aren't), factors such as mixing times, mixing methods, etc. would all affect the final temperature of the dough or batter.

Reaction score
That's exactly what I thought. I wish recipe writers would mention the optimal dough or batter temperatures more often though. I get that it probably matters most when there's yeast involved, but it's always nice to have that extra layer of security knowing you're controlling for another variable in the baking process. Even if ingredient temperatures are given (which they often aren't), factors such as mixing times, mixing methods, etc. would all affect the final temperature of the dough or batter.

99% of the blogger out there have never taken a professional level pastry or baking class. They just copy and paste from other bloggers, so they don’t have a clue as what DDT is. Those who do use it are the home bread bakers because most use Jeffery Hamelman’s bread book. @LamsMekk mentioned she saw an explaination of DDT on King Arthur flour’s website. Not too surprised because the director of education is Jeffery Hamelman.

I belong to a pastry education website that is operated by one of the top pastry school in the US, but still geared to non-professionals, but they teach to a higher level because a lot of pastry students and professionals are on the site and it’t behind a paywall ($200/per yr). They use DDT, but on a basic level and don’t always use industry standards. But they are geared more to pastry than bread, so that maybe why they use different terms. But IMO, they should use the same terms as the industry.

Reaction score

This is very true, I mean as DDT isn’t spoken about outside of professional circles, I’m assuming it would be difficult to find out the optimal batter temperatures for cookies, cakes etc. I wonder also if different flavour cakes so for example chocolate and vanilla have different optimal batter temperatures or whether they’re the same..

Ask a Question