Things that drive bakers crazy

Reaction score
How many times have you had one of these things happen? Some of them are just so relatable to me when I'm in the kitchen.

I feel like it's part and parcel of baking!

As fellow bakers, are there any particular things about baking apart from those on the list that drive you a little nuts? Or perhaps one or two on the list that you relate to more than others?

I know I hate clean up, for sure. And I've had times where I've greased the pan and something has still stuck. Always seems to be the times when I'm trying to present something perfectly that it happens like that!

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jamiejones/sieving-the-dream#.ddgW2adWA5

Reaction score
Hahaha, several of those bother me, as well. The waterfall happens daily in my kitchen, it never fails, and I'm constantly cleaning up splashed water. I dream of a nice deep sink, so it will stop happening. I've also experienced the flour everywhere syndrome. It especially happens when I'm trying to rush. I always use a cookie sheet under everything I cook now, because I got tired of oven spills. I actually have the bottom of my oven lined in aluminum foil, but it still doesn't prevent the random spill or splash.

Reaction score
lol, number one is definitely the one that get's me the most irritated :p I use metal cake pans.... without the toxic coating that prevents things from sticking to it. I should use waxed paper, but it sounds like more extra work and most of the time my cakes turn out fine by just greasing the pan properly.

Reaction score
What bothers me most is having a dirty kitchen when I get the spark to bake. I end up having to scrub the kitchen down before getting started on the baking project and then am tired when I go to start baking. I then have to clean up again when I am done.

Reaction score
lol, number one is definitely the one that get's me the most irritated :p I use metal cake pans.... without the toxic coating that prevents things from sticking to it. I should use waxed paper, but it sounds like more extra work and most of the time my cakes turn out fine by just greasing the pan properly.

I'm so glad that I got rid of my non-stick pans after you mentioned how dangerous they can be. I'll accept that sometimes things might stick a little...I'm just thankful that it's better for my health all around!

Reaction score
@cupcakechef I'm glad you did it too! I honestly feel much safer baking my things in metal pans, because I really think those baking pans with coating ar super dangerous specially when you are baking, those pans experience more heat than they would while you are frying something on the stove. I cringe when I see cup cake pans covered with that thing, I only hope no children end up eating that.

Reaction score
This is a reminder that I am not as bad as I think. The one I can really identify with is the mess at the end of the job. I try these days to put out the ingredients before and not create such a mess. I rush so much it's easy to create that hurricane look in the kitchen.

Ask a Question