Tip: using onion flakes

Reaction score
The other day I was about to make onion-dill-rye bread, when I realized I did not have onions. I always have onion flakes though, and use them on the top. This time I took a handful of flakes and threw them in a bowl of water. After about 15 minutes they were reconstitued. The excess water was spilled out and the onions added to the dough. It turned out great! I would never have thought of using anything like that before. As a matter of fact, I used the extra onions in a meat loaf. Think I won't have to worry if I have onions any more!!!

Reaction score
I didn't know that onion flakes were something that you could readily get in the store, but good to know. And the description you give for your bread sounds really great!

Reaction score
I didn't know that onion flakes were something that you could readily get in the store, but good to know. And the description you give for your bread sounds really great!

I've never heard of onion flakes at all! I wonder where I could get some from to try out..? But, I must agree with you there, the bread sounds absolutely delicious.

Golem, would you share your recipe for Onion-Dill-Rye Bread? Pretty please! :D I'd love to try and make this, and I certainly need the practice with bread-making...

Reaction score
I
The other day I was about to make onion-dill-rye bread, when I realized I did not have onions. I always have onion flakes though, and use them on the top. This time I took a handful of flakes and threw them in a bowl of water. After about 15 minutes they were reconstitued. The excess water was spilled out and the onions added to the dough. It turned out great! I would never have thought of using anything like that before. As a matter of fact, I used the extra onions in a meat loaf. Think I won't have to worry if I have onions any more!!!
I use onion flakes a ton, only because they are an easy fix, and do well in soups. Sometimes a big piece of onion in food is intimidating! I also make sure that the onion flakes are not salted because a lot of time the manufacturers add salt in for extra flavor and I'm trying to avoid extra sodium. I also use onion flakes when I am making pinto beans. Enjoy!

Reaction score
You can make your own onion flakes and powders. I just dehydrate a whole bag of onions (sliced in food processor, arranged in dehydrator). Then, I put about half of the dehydrated onions into a food processor for more course pieces. For the powder, I just use an herb grinder. They keep for a very long time and taste better than the store-bought products.

Ask a Question